• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

One Year Test Results

bois323

Exactly one year ago I decide to test out for myself how long would a print last outside that is printed with my designjet 5500 with UV ink, without any lamination.

The print (48"x36") was printed on the HP everyday matte Polypropylene. It was outside for one year, and survived a hurricane last August. We are in the Bahamas so the sun is extremely brutal.

Now for the results: The print only had some minor fading after 9 months but when months 10 to 12 came around it seemed to fade real fast. You can also see all the little chips from the dust hitting it ( we get some very windy and dusty days).

So to the asnwer of the question of how long would a print last outside unlaminated is about 9 months before fading.

But you have to print it on a quality polypropylene and not the chinese immitation. You can't even drop a drop of water on the chinese stuff and it runs but the 3M, HP and Magiclee will not run when wet.

I printed a new sign with the same HP paper on one side and the cheap chinese stuff on the next. Both sides are laminated. I will post results in about 6 months.

picture.php
picture.php

genericname

Thanks, bois! Very few people are willing to do this, let alone report on it. Looking forward to your next experiment.