• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Online shopping carts - are you using one

Kevin-shopVOX

I'm just curious to hear the different online shopping carts those of you that are using one, might be using. I'm just trying to get an idea of the more popular ones being used so we can be prepared on our part. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MatthewTimothy

Zen Cart for the CMS route overall. Just an FYI, Zen Cart used to be OScommerce, which is a horrible horrible horrible eCommerce solution. Magento for larger scale catalogs because the hosting needs a VPN min setup based on the amount of RAM required, I believe its 2GB. Open Cart for smaller scale catalogs, does allow and I have used some blog integration. Wordpress uses a decent one that I have heard of but have not used. Joomla uses virtue mart, when we were testing it, it performed poorly and was buggy. You can however integrate Joomla and OpenCart.

peavey123

How customizable is Magento? Can you dive right into the CSS and get a lil' dirty?

I've taken over my work's site and want to go all out. I need to have two separate stores on the one site. One private, one public. Maybe more in the future? I'm not even sure if this is possible though? We have about 80 skus atm but need to add about 100 more plus a public store with an equal amount of skus, which is why I was thinking Magento.

Anyways, My only experience with CMS is wordpress, and my only ecommerce experience is OScommerce. ha With a fair knowledge of HTML and CSS is magento the way to go? I want rock solid -work on everything **** here. Thoughts?

Thanks.

signswi

I'll throw Google Checkout, Shopify and Goodsie into the mix among those mentioned. Each kind of serve their own niche needs.

icex

Magento, love the features but hate the stability. We are constantly paying someone to fix it. It was going fine for a few months and then all of a sudden, no one even touching it, it stops allowing people to add items to the cart. So now a complete reinstall is required.

graphicwarning

I've always liked Hikashop in Joomla... not sure if it's available on other platforms.

Ecwid.com is a really great web based/cloud based one that works really well I found, with lots of plug-ins etc, but tends to be a bit pricey I think (unless something has changed since I've last used it in the last few years). It nicely it embeds into any website, and can be linked to Facebook pages as well.

Never cared for Virtumart though. It works well... but feels bulky to me.