Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online shopping carts - are you using one

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Kevin-shopVOX, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Kevin-shopVOX

Kevin-shopVOX Active Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Maine
    I'm just curious to hear the different online shopping carts those of you that are using one, might be using. I'm just trying to get an idea of the more popular ones being used so we can be prepared on our part. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    Tags:
  2. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    3Dcart, I have 4 stores and overall good experience.

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Zen Cart for a number of years. Works fine.

4. Circleville Signs

Circleville Signs Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Circleville, OH
    Nope - every job we do is custom, so there's no stock to buy :smile:

5. Kevin-shopVOX

Mar 29, 2009
    Maine
    thanks.

6. FireSprint.com

FireSprint.com Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing

Magento. Not sure we're happy with it though. Might need to do something custom.

7. MatthewTimothy

MatthewTimothy Active Member

Sep 1, 2011
    nashville
    Zen Cart for the CMS route overall. Just an FYI, Zen Cart used to be OScommerce, which is a horrible horrible horrible eCommerce solution. Magento for larger scale catalogs because the hosting needs a VPN min setup based on the amount of RAM required, I believe its 2GB. Open Cart for smaller scale catalogs, does allow and I have used some blog integration. Wordpress uses a decent one that I have heard of but have not used. Joomla uses virtue mart, when we were testing it, it performed poorly and was buggy. You can however integrate Joomla and OpenCart.

8. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Volusion hands down.

9. 2NinerNiner2

2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Prestashop has been gaining a lot of traction of late.

10. Kevin-shopVOX

Mar 29, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks for the help everyone!

11. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    How customizable is Magento? Can you dive right into the CSS and get a lil' dirty?

I've taken over my work's site and want to go all out. I need to have two separate stores on the one site. One private, one public. Maybe more in the future? I'm not even sure if this is possible though? We have about 80 skus atm but need to add about 100 more plus a public store with an equal amount of skus, which is why I was thinking Magento.

Anyways, My only experience with CMS is wordpress, and my only ecommerce experience is OScommerce. ha With a fair knowledge of HTML and CSS is magento the way to go? I want rock solid -work on everything **** here. Thoughts?

Thanks.

12. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

couldn't find one i liked, so i made my own.

13. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    cool story brah :p

14. signswi

signswi Very Active Member

Oct 29, 2009
    I'll throw Google Checkout, Shopify and Goodsie into the mix among those mentioned. Each kind of serve their own niche needs.

15. 8DC

8DC New Member

WP-ecommerce

16. icex

icex Member

Aug 19, 2014
    usa
    Magento, love the features but hate the stability. We are constantly paying someone to fix it. It was going fine for a few months and then all of a sudden, no one even touching it, it stops allowing people to add items to the cart. So now a complete reinstall is required.

17. graphicwarning

graphicwarning Member

Aug 30, 2012
    NB, Canada
    I've always liked Hikashop in Joomla... not sure if it's available on other platforms.

Ecwid.com is a really great web based/cloud based one that works really well I found, with lots of plug-ins etc, but tends to be a bit pricey I think (unless something has changed since I've last used it in the last few years). It nicely it embeds into any website, and can be linked to Facebook pages as well.

Never cared for Virtumart though. It works well... but feels bulky to me.