• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Only buy HP Latex inks from dealer who sold you machine?

jpena9137

Just getting into printing from a background of cut vinyl only. There are a number factors drawing me to HP Latex because of use in a home environment and I will be printing mostly interior signage.

Two resellers mentioned that HP requires you to buy ink from the same place that sold you the machine. This seems like a bunch of retarded non-sense. Is this really true? Obviously the reseller wants your future business...but what could possibly be in it for HP to have such requirements.

Thanks!

ProColorGraphics

I was told that you can, but you have to sign a paper stating why you wanted to purchase from somewhere else. I haven't seen it, just what I was told. My supplier gives me a good price on ink, so I have no reason to shop around.

fresh

I think I signed a paper stating we would only purchase OEM Mimaki inks from the dealer of that machine in order to extend the warranty or something.

What REALLY grinds my gears is when that dealer sends out emails touting how superior and cost-saving their 3rd party inks are, knowing full-well that if I use them, I void my warranty.

Bly

Haha.

Consumables is where they make their money so of course they'd love to lock you in.

Nice try by the vendor though.

Tim Aucoin

^^ Someone is lying to you. Big time. I buy my inks from many different vendors.. and it does not effect my warranty at all.

Agree with Colorado on this one. The only thing that voids warranty is using 3rd party inks. If you are using OEM inks the Warranty is fine regardless of where you purchase the inks. That's the way it works in my neck of the woods anyhow. My warranty was up 2 years ago and I still buy OEM inks because of HP's excellent service and replacement policy should we ever get a faulty cartridge (or print head). Has happened on a few occasions.

rjssigns

It's true you can buy ink from whomever you please. The wise decision is to buy from the people that sold you the machine and will perform warranty service. Buy everything from them at least until the end of warranty.

Why create headaches for yourself?

Think about what I said...

Desert_Signs

^^ Someone is lying to you. Big time. I buy my inks from many different vendors.. and it does not effect my warranty at all.

This is true with Latex, I buy inks from whoever is cheapest.

You wouldn't believe the **** fit a vendor threw when I tried to buy inks for my FB500 from someone else. I ended up going up the chain to some muckety muck in HP corporate to get a change. I was told (by HP) that some vendors get 'territories' and if you buy the printer from them, no one else is allowed to sell you ink or even extended warranties.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
All of this is illegal. You can buy whatever inks you want from wherever you want. Look up the Moss Magnuson Warranty Act. Your warranty if fine buying inks wherever you want AND you can use third party ink all you want. On third party ink, they must prove that the third party ink caused a failure for them to deny a warranty claim. That would be like Ford voiding your warranty on you entire car because you did not replace the wipers with Motorcraft wipers but used Bosch instead and Ford also requiring that you only buy and use Shell gas for the car....