• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 10 can't open network files because of long filenames

JoeBoomer

I keep getting errors trying to open files located on my network drive because it says the filenames are too long. The only way to correct this is to copy file to desktop and open it from there.

Postershop RIP-Queue gives me the following error: "The file name: "T:\...blahblah" is too long. Please rename the file with no more than 128 characters."

The thing is, sometimes it will let me open a file and then later in the afternoon it will give me the error on the same file. There is nothing discernible that changes between working and not working.

Specs:

Onyx Postershop 10.25
Windows 7 computer
Drobo 5n Network hard drive
Both computer & network hard drive are NFTS.

I have the network drive mapped on my computer to drive "T:\"
I've also tried using just the network path but both end in same result.

Any help?

thanks team!

shoresigns

I can't explain why the file sometimes works and then later it doesn't, but you haven't given us any examples to show whether your filenames are in fact 128 characters long or not. Note that errors like this often are referring to the total length including the directory path.

JoeBoomer

All of my filenames are under 100 characters. Example:

VZWNHL_17_NFC_Readers_PRINT.pdf

T:\1_Jobs\1_Current Jobs\VZW-NHL POD and TRAILER 10-14-13\Graphics\3_Final\1_Print\17_NFC Readers\VZWNHL_17_NFC_Readers_PRINT.pdf

Yes, it is referring to the directory path.

Note: I just closed Postershop & re-opened it and it works. I have tried this before, with no consistent results.

Thanks Team!

I can't explain why the file sometimes works and then later it doesn't, but you haven't given us any examples to show whether your filenames are in fact 128 characters long or not. Note that errors like this often are referring to the total length including the directory path.

Matt-Tastic

The 80 or so character limit for characters was a windows issue, that shows up in ONYX 7 and ONYX 10. ONYX 11 has changed the way it imports files, and should have corrected this issue (initially, it didn't).

You can also use hot folders (shared on the network) to drag and drop files directly into the queue, which bypasses the character limit.