• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 10 - printing a barcode ??

bob_5793

Hi,
I have Onyx Production House 10 with an Encad 850, both had plenty of use - but today it printed a barcode top and bottom of the print - never had the software or printer do that before, and cant find a setting in the Onyx software that would make it do that - checked the PDF that was run - no barcode there (it was a PDF opened and resaved in Illi).

I am aware some Printers will print a barcode on media - which is read by the printer to keep track of media usage - but know the Encad doesn't have that feature.

Any Ideas what setting and where - would have caused this.

If you define a Graphtec cutter in the Preflight / Job Editor for the job, it will print registration marks and a bar code. Other brands of cutters may well do the same.

bob_5793

Ahh yes, found I'd selected a default Contour Cutter somehow ... guess the barcode simply tells the printer to then go get data from the cut server once its printed.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The barcoding actually works quite well.
We'll often print out 20 separate jobs onto a single roll on our UV printer, then put them through out Roland cutter.
We have a barcode scanner hooked up to our Cut Server machine and just scan each job, it automatically picks the job from the list and proceeds to cut.
A lot easier than manually finding the right job each time.

bob_5793

We dont have a cutter, so was surprised when it run out the job with a barcode, we should really go out and buy a cutter as we put out jobs now and again, and think its always better to have this stuff inhouse.