• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 11 - Anyone else find it unuseable?

rdm01

We recently upgraded to Onyx 11, and after one week of battling a hardware key issue we were finally able to install. Out of the first three prints, two were bad.

In Onyx 10 we would wind up with a few transparency issues (Pantone gradient or transparency, forget about it!). Sometime logos would drop out due to items like the previous, but we had a pretty good handle on catching them before the RIP, and certainly could see the issues in the previews and re-RIP.

In Onyx 11 we have about 25-30% of our files print with large portions of graphics dropping out. Logos, images, backgrounds, and text all see to be prey to whatever error it is. The most aggravating part is that you cannot detect it in the preview. All jobs will preview fine, then pop off with half the file missing. I have attached some photos for reference.

I don't have phone support so I am stuck going through the reseller as a middle man to try and get this figured out. So far recommendations to change transparency and overprint settings have remained fruitless, as has a complete reinstall.

Anyone else battling similar issues?

On a side note if you are preparing to install Onyx 11, I would have it installed alongside 10 as we have so you can easily run jobs while ironing out the details.

Attachments

• ONYX-Job-Editor-Reprint.jpg
    ONYX-Job-Editor-Reprint.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 183
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ONYX-Reprint.jpg
    ONYX-Reprint.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 127

d fleming

Had Onyx Postershop years ago on an encad printer. I think it came with it. Did ok but I didn't like it all that much, I can't even remember why. I upgraded my signlab with the next printer purchase to their print/cut version haven't looked back since.

particleman

Those types of issues are the worst. Nothing like queueing up a huge job over night and discovering they all printed wrong. Sorry I have nothing useful to say other than I've used Onyx since version 6 and I would never recommend it to anyone. Used to deal with Onyx headaches weekly on multiple machines.

Caldera on the other hand has a generally positive opinion around here.

Ditchmiester

So far I've been using Onyx Postershop 11 for a couple weeks and have liked some of the subtle changes that have made. The only time I had trouble installing it was because I forgot to get the update for my dongle before I tried to install the program.

Bly

Never jump into a full Onyx version upgrade unless you keep the previous version installed.

FrankW

Never jump into a full Onyx version upgrade unless you keep the previous version installed.

If installing Onyx 11 on a computer with installed older onyx, the installer copies the settings and profiles from the old version, but will keep it alive. I had some problems with that driver and profile conversion, easily handled by installing a fresh driver and reload the profiles only.

I have hated Onyx for years. It is still a software which is really nasty to operate, but some details are nice. So I don't hate it so much anymore :) .

Markus59

We have been having the same issues with Onyx 11, logos, fonts, images, dropping out. Been in contact with Onyx support and they claim we are the only ones having this issue, we must be doing something wrong, etc.,etc., I will be sending files to them tomorrow and see what they say. I'll post whatever they come up with as a solution.

Mark

Hotspur

Hi

In the rip queue if you go to Setup-Rip Configuration-Configure Jaws Rip you get a dialogue which allows you to setup the Jaws rip – the setting APPLYIMGXFERFUNCS should be set to OFF and it should be ticked - do not try to set the value to ON just tick the box.

Then ensure the file gets re-ripped with the new setting.

Give it a go - it might help?

peavey123

Hi

In the rip queue if you go to Setup-Rip Configuration-Configure Jaws Rip you get a dialogue which allows you to setup the Jaws rip – the setting APPLYIMGXFERFUNCS should be set to OFF and it should be ticked - do not try to set the value to ON just tick the box.

Then ensure the file gets re-ripped with the new setting.

Give it a go - it might help?

I was going to say do the same thing except check "COMPATAMODE" I just used this to fix some parts dropping out of a PDF in ONYX 10. Takes long to rip but it worked.

Markus59

After talking with Onyx on the phone and sending them some files that we were having trouble with, we got this response and it seems to be working. Haven't had any problems with what we are printing today.

From Onyx:

Most likely it is the transparency option under the rip configuration.

Do me a favor, in Rip Queue go to Setup>Rip Configuration>Configure Jaws Rip. Make sure that the setting TRANSPARENCY=OFF is NOT checked. If this option is checked, then transparency will be turned off and your files will render wrong hence the element drop outs.

FYI, go to Help>About......Rip-Queue and check the version number you are running, I used version 11.0.0.107

Hope this helps,

Mark