• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 11 to 12 Color Shift

wildside

We are working on a job that the color is consistent throughout museum project, we are about halfway through the job. Each wall prints about every 3-4 months as it is a long drawn out job already 3 years in to it.

Couple months ago we upgraded from Onyx 11 to 12, everything seems to be ok until just today we start to print the next section of wall wrap and the color is way off. The file is the same file we have benn building off of for a long time. I even opened an old file already printed and it prints way off also.

Any recommendations on what to look for? i have tried every profile combo etc and just get different variations of not even close color.

Attached is a pic of the new print laid on top of the existing to show how far off it is, like everything is printed with heavy yellow saturation, although nothing changed except the software upgrade. In person it is much more obvious than the photo looks.

Attachments

• 20160823_135305.jpg
    20160823_135305.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 124

Bly

Could be many things. Have you checked profiles and rendering intents?

Usually you install Onyx version as a fresh install which leaves the previous one intact.
Maybe print this job using v11.

wildside

I had to uninstall 11, there were issues with connectivity, but once it was uninstalled that issue went away. Also with the dongle change, the older version would not work anymore... i would think... maybe i could reinstall 11 but am guessing it will give me an error due to the dongle being upgraded.

I have tried every combo of rendering, perceptual, icc profiles, profiles off, etc, and everything is just way off. If i did not have to match existing it wouldn't be so bad but in he room they are way to different to even consider. :banghead:

Bly

That's weird my colour didn't change noticeably when we upgraded.
It's almost like you're using absolute colorimetric intent where it changes the white of the background.

YMCK

You can run a previous version of Onyx with an upgraded key. Onyx told me that this is done on purpose for situations like this. I have both 11 and 12 on the same computer and can run them with the 12 key. Installing 11 again and printing the job using 11 then comparing it to the output of 12 would be a good test to determine if it is a software difference or if something has changed in your shop or on the printer.

Correct Color

As others have said, you can run an older version of Onyx with a newer version key.

Note though that trying every profile combo out there isn't going to do anything for you but waste a lot of ink and media.

The only profile combo out there that's going to print exactly as you printed before is the one you used before. If you have everything set exactly the same there's no reason why it shouldn't work, unless perhaps your printer has drifted.

But more likely some setting is different between your 12 setup and your 11 setup.

What you need to do is use exactly the same media profile and all color management settings in 12 that you used in 11. If you don't know or remember them, then there's no answer. It's as simple as that.

Mike