• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 12 ICC Profile skipping light colors?

ikarasu

[Edit] Forgot to add, this is the ink restriction swatch thats doing this. I haven't got past the first step... so I'm not sure if the rest does it.

So I was having an issue with onyx, and I went to reinstall it. When I got back, I stupidly imported settings from my old onyx 10, and lost all my profiles. Whatever... I'll start over, I've learned a lot since I made them anyways, so they'll turn out better!

I went to print an ink swatch... and half of the rows are clear.

Image at - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It looks as though it's skipping all the light colors for some reason. When I go to read swatch, I can see it's asking for a color to actually be read, but when I actually print the swatch, the corresponding squares are blank.

I'm tempted to just uninstall and re-install from scratch. But I have 10-20,000 decals to print that will take me a few days... so I wont be able to until then, and I don't like not having profiles during that time!

I also just noticed under "preview" it looks like the colors are there. Just not in job editor, or when I print.

Anyone run into something similiar?

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I was playing with spot colours the week.
I can't remember from the top of my head exactly what to press to get there. But when you choose your print resolution, usually another box popes up when you go next with other printer settings. in that box you click another button (print setting maybe?) and you can define what channel will print what ink. you may have to set spot1 to channel 5 or what ever name it has for that spot colour.

I'll explain it better when i get to work tomorrow, but hopefully you understand what i'm trying to say

ikarasu

Oops... forgot to post a follow up!

It was a combination of things. When I printed it, none of the boxes showed up. so I went into onyx flight preview, and of course they didn't show up there.

I found out onyx doesn't always show the light colors when doing profiling (According to the onyx rep). So that part was normal.

Our machine however was messing up - Turns out the wipers werent aligned, so it wasn't cleaning... and thats what caused the light inks not to print. We just got it fixed today, did a test print... and the light channels are now working again, even though they don't show up in onyx (I could have sworn they used to before),

Printer malfunction + upgrading to onyx 12.2, and a bit of bad luck had me confused! Turns out everything, except the printer was working as intended.

Thanks though!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Oops... forgot to post a follow up!

It was a combination of things. When I printed it, none of the boxes showed up. so I went into onyx flight preview, and of course they didn't show up there.

I found out onyx doesn't always show the light colors when doing profiling (According to the onyx rep). So that part was normal.

Our machine however was messing up - Turns out the wipers werent aligned, so it wasn't cleaning... and thats what caused the light inks not to print. We just got it fixed today, did a test print... and the light channels are now working again, even though they don't show up in onyx (I could have sworn they used to before),

Printer malfunction + upgrading to onyx 12.2, and a bit of bad luck had me confused! Turns out everything, except the printer was working as intended.

Thanks though!

I have 12.2 also. no big change from 12.1. but 12 to 12.1 there's a few changes, specially in thrive.

They should show? If they're spot colours you usually tell onyx what colour to show them as.

ikarasu

I always remember them showing also. Which is why it confused me. But this is the reply I got from Onyx support staff -

"Thanks for contacting Onyx Tech Support.

When printing a swatch for light inks, Job Editor will sometimes not show the light ink areas, but the swatch will still print correctly. Have you tried printing the swatch? If so, did it print correctly?"

I'm not sure what causes them to "sometimes not show", what conditions are making it not happen... But for some reason it's not showing, even now. It does print, and scan ok... So no idea. I just figured it must have been something with 12.2, as I've never seen it happen before. However saying that, I have only made 5-7 profiles before... so maybe I'm mis-remembering it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I always remember them showing also. Which is why it confused me. But this is the reply I got from Onyx support staff -

"Thanks for contacting Onyx Tech Support.

When printing a swatch for light inks, Job Editor will sometimes not show the light ink areas, but the swatch will still print correctly. Have you tried printing the swatch? If so, did it print correctly?"

I'm not sure what causes them to "sometimes not show", what conditions are making it not happen... But for some reason it's not showing, even now. It does print, and scan ok... So no idea. I just figured it must have been something with 12.2, as I've never seen it happen before. However saying that, I have only made 5-7 profiles before... so maybe I'm mis-remembering it.

I dont have light inks so i'm not to sure.
I do have them on my Epson p600 but that's an "rgb" printer which means the light ink curves are pre defined inside the printer. But on my Arizona when printing Spot colours the patches on screen come up as the colour you set them. obviously you cannot set Spot white as white so you do a green. so my patches on screen are green if that makes sense.