• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 19 Cut Server and Cut layers

Goatshaver

I've been struggling with cutting techniques and one thing I'm having trouble with is Onyx cut server. Now I want to do a Contour Cut and then a Flex Cut in one pass. (Not sure this is possible) In any case if I layer my file with Flex Cut on bottom and Contour Cut on top when I print it to the cut server it only shows one layer. Now here's something I thought was odd I had a test sheet with different cut shapes on it. One was setup with just a contour cut the others had two layers. Top was contour cut and the bottom was a Flex Cut. Now as it gets imported into the cut server only one layer is shown, but when I start the cutting it did 2 contour cut passes automatically. Thinking I had replot on I checked and nothing was set to replot.

Now it appears onyx will just shove both recognized cut layers into one and you wouldn't even know it, as there is no way to separate them once they are in Onyx Cut Server.

I cannot figure out way to do these in one pass. Only two separate passes of cutting the entire sheet.

Dan360

You can do it in cutserver but only if they are still seen as separate paths. Add a layer in the bottom right, right click the flex cut path and move to layer.

But as far as cutting both cut contour and flex in one pass, you should be able to do it through the cut layer settings under manage cutters. Set up your cut layer settings and apply them to each respective layer. Just gotta make sure your cut server is not set to use device settings (I think).

FrankW

Onyx will not separate different cutting paths by layer, but by colour. When you have a valid cuth path, you have coloured the path with a color named „CutContour“, right? Now, for the flexcut path, you need to use a different named spot colour, for example „CutContourFlex“. It is important to use „CutContour“ as prefix (is the default, can be modified), but behind that you can vary (CutContour1, CutContourFlex, CutContourImHungry etc). As soon as you use two or more cut paths with different names, you will have two or more different layers in the Cutserver.

Additional info: if you name the cut layer settings to match the path colour, the layer settings will apply automatically.

CanuckSigns

I've had issues with cutserver not seeing 2 seperate cutcontour lines when exporting the file as pdf, if I export as an EPS it's fine.

Goatshaver

Onyx will not separate different cutting paths by layer, but by colour. When you have a valid cuth path, you have coloured the path with a color named „CutContour“, right? Now, for the flexcut path, you need to use a different named spot colour, for example „CutContourFlex“. It is important to use „CutContour“ as prefix (is the default, can be modified), but behind that you can vary (CutContour1, CutContourFlex, CutContourImHungry etc). As soon as you use two or more cut paths with different names, you will have two or more different layers in the Cutserver.

Additional info: if you name the cut layer settings to match the path colour, the layer settings will apply automatically.

Hmm well...I've tried lots of things and nothing seems to work. In Illustrator I've got my art on the base layer, then the next layer will have the FlexCut with the assigned spot color, then using the same cut path, but with the CutContour spot color on the top layer. I save my PDF import to Onyx and send to print and the cut server doesn't even recognize the very top layer (CutContour) but will see the FlexCut layer. I've checked all the naming conventions in Onyx so that they get recognized but it doesn't seem to like having to of the same cut paths (different names for the actual cut paths, ie CutContour or FlexCut) on top on each other.

I think misunderstanding what I mean. I mean the exact same cut line for the shape, whatever it is directly on top of each other. Not one cut path and then another one that's a different size than the other path. For instance on my Roland, and I know this is just how Versaworks operates, you can setup a Contour cut and perf cut right on top of each other and it will proceed to do the contour cut and then the perf cut on the first piece then move onto the second and so on.

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to do it. I'm just trying to find a way to get better cuts.

Christian @ 2CT Media

You need to set your prefixes in the quickset in onyx. So you need a CutContour prefix and a FlexCut prefix. A Fast way is set your prefix to CutContour_ then add a post fix to each color like so, CutContour_Kiss and CutContour_Flex.

That's how we do it

Also you don't want your kiss cut to be the same as flex. It is counter intuitive for 1 and it will cause improper Flex Cutting for 2. Flex Cut is kiss and punch cutting at the same time.

FrankW

I do not know what's so difficult about it: I do that since years, and I train users to do so. I'm a certified onyx-technician.

If you want two different cut modes in one job, you need a cut contour for every mode, set two different named colors as the contour color (with the common Prefix "CutContour" or any prefix chosen yourself in the quickset), and that's it. Onyx doesn't care about layers in the print file.

The most common mistakes done in that issues, are:

- Typing errors when naming the colour
- Saving the file in a format which won't support spot colors
- The line are not of an allowed format (try the thinnest line available)

Thats it.

Goatshaver

Don't think I've got any settings missed that I know of

. Untitled-1.png Untitled-2.png Untitled-3.png Untitled-4.png Untitled-5.png

FrankW

With that color settings ("CutContour" and "CutContourFlex", set as spot colors), you need only 1 Prefix, the default "CutContour". I would delete any other Custom Cut Path Prefixes, could be that "CutContourFlex" as a custom Prefix will lead to a conflict.

I will test it myself as soon as possible (could be that I have my onyx dongle with me on the weekend).

Goatshaver

With that color settings ("CutContour" and "CutContourFlex", set as spot colors), you need only 1 Prefix, the default "CutContour". I would delete any other Custom Cut Path Prefixes, could be that "CutContourFlex" as a custom Prefix will lead to a conflict.

I will test it myself as soon as possible (could be that I have my onyx dongle with me on the weekend).

What I'm seeing is it just seems to discard the top layer cut, whichever one is on the top most layer whether it's CutContour or FlexCut. When it gets into cut server it will have only the cut layer directly above the artwork layer. All this absolutely works if the paths aren't duplicated on top of each other. Like if I set my FlexCut line to be say 3mm larger then the CutContour it all works as you say with no problems.

FrankW

If you use a summa roll cutter, I think you could achieve the same effect by varying the knife depth (make it deeper) and pressure.

Goatshaver

If you use a summa roll cutter, I think you could achieve the same effect by varying the knife depth (make it deeper) and pressure.

Yeah I've been struggling with that. I never really got any solid training on anything, Epson, Onyx or the summa. Covid hit and reduced my training to a phone install. I hate asking so many questions but I feel like I'm still in the learning curve on a lot of this stuff 3 months after the install. I'm glad there are a lot of knowledgeable people her I can easily pose questions to to help guide me. So I appreciate the help.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
don't use a stroke it must be a fill or you can get odd results.

we only use a stroke in illy and haven’t ever had double cuts/issues. I’ve found most people that have a double cut are saving to EPS and have “convert all strokes to outlines” ticked.

Goatshaver

we only use a stroke in illy and haven’t ever had double cuts/issues. I’ve found most people that have a double cut are saving to EPS and have “convert all strokes to outlines” ticked.
I've never used a fill either. Always have used strokes and have had no problems. Now If you expand that stroke, making it not a real stroke anymore you will get a double cut line.\\\

With all that being said. I've just come to the process of making my cut layer in illustrator, I duplicate it but give it another name (ie: top layer is spot color is CutContour and the layer below with the spot color ContourCut) What this does is give it two cut lines, although the only indication in Onyx CutServer is the cut lines look slightly darker. You can't tell there are two there unless you confirm it by looking at your file info in the Onyx rip.

I've gotten this to work on several sticker jobs where I wanted to do a cutout shape that was more complex than just a circle or a square. The blade settings have to be dialed in just right for it to work properly though. I've cut over 1k like that this will and have had very minimal problems and the cuts come out really nice and clean.