• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 21 Transparencies

jason91

I'm having a weird problem on transparencies in onyx 21on occasion. Sometime it works just fine, other times it creates this box around the image where the transparency is. It does it if i send to onyx as a vector (pdf) or flaten the image to a bitmap. It still shows up. it works fine in onyx 12 or versaworks... check the image see what u guys think? The file can have transpariencies all thru it and they all look great, but sometimes there is a problem with just 1??

Attachments

• IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 88

Christian @ 2CT Media

100% this is because it is a RGB Transparency. The best fix is to flatten transparencies from the bottom up in your design program of choice.

Onyx 12 works because it was on the JAWs rip engine, and this is an Adobe PDF issue. I'm not too keen on what Versaworks uses to RIP, but I know it wasn't Adobe until Recently.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The faulty image posted by the OP is very indicative of using disparate rendering intents of perceptual vs colorimetric. The intents should both be set to perceptual so both raster and vector colors blend into one another. Colorimetric could be used for both rendering intents but photographs would very likely suffer lack of tone detail. Virtually nothing is lost when choosing perceptual intents.

The fact of "randomness" should be telling that color management, or mismanagement, is at play. Otherwise, all RGB blends would be faulty.

Last edited:

jason91

100% this is because it is a RGB Transparency. The best fix is to flatten transparencies from the bottom up in your design program of choice.

Onyx 12 works because it was on the JAWs rip engine, and this is an Adobe PDF issue. I'm not too keen on what Versaworks uses to RIP, but I know it wasn't Adobe until Recently.
but all the transparencies were cmyk when flatten, yet i agree it looks like the background is cmyk, and the trans. is rgb.....why is messing up? and how do i fix it...export as an eps or tiff?

jason91

The faulty image posted by the OP is very indicative of using disparate rendering intents of perceptual vs colorimetric. The intents should both be set to perceptual so both raster and vector colors blend into one another. Colorimetric could be used for both rendering intents but photographs would very likely suffer lack of tone detail. Virtually nothing is lost when choosing perceptual intents.

The fact of "randomness" should be telling that color management, or mismanagement, is at play. Otherwise, all RGB blends would be faulty.
so your saying its and issue with onyx color management? set all color management profiles to perceptual?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
so your saying its and issue with onyx color management? set all color management profiles to perceptual?
Very likely color management settings but one should also be very aware of workflow color settings all throughout the critical path including PDF export settings. The PDF stage is where flattening is normally performed not to mentions earlier settings in design software such as flattening and blending color spaces there as well.

Experiment and check any results by first opening the PDF with Adobe Photoshop. It's a RIP. Then, compare that image with the Onyx RIP after you change both rendering intents to perceptual.

Also, be sure to use your printer's ICC output profile to softproof the design document to first preview color shifts.

Ask again if you have further questions.