• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 21 True Black help

jason91

I need help in onyx getting my greys and blacks to print true black channel only... I created swatches from 100% K down to 10% K...When I print it has a mix of cmyk in them....
I selected In the Color Management Icc Pure hues box black only, but its didnt change anything, its still mixing my blacks...Help please...

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Colour replacement tool in job editor you can define a colour with the ink channels.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
what about when I bring in a true black grey gradient? Is there a certain profile that would change it to true black?
You can turn ICC profiles to "off" and that will print the files CMYK values.

I wouldn't be doing this for all job or jobs with colour, but it's the way i'd print a K only gradient.

jason91

You can turn ICC profiles to "off" and that will print the files CMYK values.

I wouldn't be doing this for all job or jobs with colour, but it's the way i'd print a K only gradient.
i tired changing the advanced black generation to primary black only now onyx crashes every time i try to rip something???

Saturn

Aging Member
I have not played with it or tried it myself—but in the Edit Quick Set menu window under Change Profiles... you can click a button to the right of the profiles called Setup Pure Colors that takes you to a ICC Pure Hues window. Within the ICC Pure Hues window you can click on Black or Black/Grey, and the info/details seem to indicate it will do what you want, i.e, leaving your pure K 100% black versus making it rich.

ICCPureHues.png
Onyx - GamaPrint 19

Last edited:

Saturn

Aging Member
Just tried it and can confirm it works. Obviously you need to understand how to generate 100% K text and raster images first too. I used to do this all the time in InDesign for thing going to more traditional printers, but wasn't sure it would work quite as easily in Illustrator, even worked with the document color mode set to RGB. Definitely something I would trial-and-error check first—for critical work—as things aren't always obvious working with greyscale in Illustrator.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
i tired changing the advanced black generation to primary black only now onyx crashes every time i try to rip something???
i dont know what you've done.

Change the ICC profile in job editor to "OFF"

View my screenshot.
Also i think Saturns method will work.
It depends on what you're doing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-25 104206.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-25 104206.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 63

Saturn

Aging Member
Jason, sorry, just saw that you were already trying the Pure Hues menu. Duh! What program are you creating your artwork in? I've tried it a few times now, and Pure Hues works great for me, but I still would have to test it to be sure of things, as it still really needs to be grayscale, not just "black" or desaturated. Depending on the software it can be difficult to tell what's what, when it comes to blacks. I only know Adobe stuff.

Wish I could offer more help!