• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx And Slow Startup Times

ikarasu

Anyone here find onyx REALLY slow to get to server starting when opening onyx?

I find whenever I have a few hundred buffer jobs (Ones that have already printed) in the bottom column, it takes sometimes a minute or two to load. I usually keep onyx open, but whenever I have a problem file I'm dealing with, and it crashes onyx, it's a pain in the butt to re-open it a few times.

I find going to "C:\Onyx12\Work\printer name" And moving all them files to a "Backup dir" fixes it, and it loads instantly.

Just wondering if it's because this computer is slow, or if others have similar issues. The fix works, but it's a pain going in there every week, copying everything over. I don't see why onyx would load jobs already printed... it'd be nice if it archived them somewhere, and I can just go back and un-archive them as needed. The way I do it essentially does that... but you'd think the software would be able to auto manage it (Unless I'm missing something/have something setup wrong).

shoresigns

Onyx isn't alone in this. Versaworks takes ages to load if you have a long queue of jobs. We generally have to clear anything older than the last month or two, which is incredibly inconvenient as we lose any record of what settings were used to print a given job.

ikarasu

Onyx isn't alone in this. Versaworks takes ages to load if you have a long queue of jobs. We generally have to clear anything older than the last month or two, which is incredibly inconvenient as we lose any record of what settings were used to print a given job.

I copy the folder to another location. Not sure about Versaworks, but at least with onyx... all the files are named the same. so if I have to go back, I just search for the file name, and drop it back in the work folder. Don't even need to restart onyx.. it just auto re-adds it back to the queue dir.

It should be like the cut server - When you "Archive" a file, it puts it in a different location. Then when you want to pull it back up, you just goto archive, and can select it. That way the files are still there, just not being loaded. I'm not sure why they don't do it that way... It's not like it's hard to manually back up the folder, it's just not as convenient... First world problems though ;p

Pretty much just wanted to make sure I wasnt overlooking something, or maybe this comps too old that it just slows it down more than it should. Guess I'll just live with it... Maybe I'll make a script to auto move every file older than 1 week to a backup directory and zip the files up. That way it wont grab anything still in queue to be printed, and the print queue wont get TOO large!

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

You can actually save processed jobs to RVW files, which retain settings and let you import them back into Versaworks at a later time.
We use this to keep track of jobs so we can reprint using same settings in the future.
Look for the icon at the bottom which looks like a floppy/CD combo.

Signed Out

You can actually save processed jobs to RVW files, which retain settings and let you import them back into Versaworks at a later time.
We use this to keep track of jobs so we can reprint using same settings in the future.
Look for the icon at the bottom which looks like a floppy/CD combo.

Been running into this issue more lately. Versaworks takes forever to open after a couple weeks of print files. And we hate to loose all of our RIP settings by clearing the que.

Could you go into a little more detail on how you are saving as RVW files that can be reloaded into versaworks if needed?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Job Menu -> Save
It saves the job RIP settings and the location of the source file. I don't think it embeds the source file however, so it will ask for it if you've moved it afterwards.
We sold our Roland a year ago, so I haven't used Versaworks for a very long time, but pretty sure that's where it used to hide.

unclebun

I just opened Onyx to see how long it took until the printer was initialized. 24 seconds. Is that slow? I have buffered jobs going back to 1/2/18.