• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Colour Replacement Using Spectrophotometer

jasonx

Is it possible to use the eye color selector tool and replace that colour with a measurement from the spectrophotometer (X-Rite Eye One)? Or can I only use CMYK values?

Bly

I'm not sure I understand the question.

You can measure a colour sample with a device in RipQueue:

Setup > Postscript > Color Matching table > User defined colors

jasonx

I've got a raster artwork file and I'd like to use the color selector tool and replace a color with another color that's from the spectrophotometer. The color replacement tool only lets me specify CMYK values as the replacement color.

JWesthead

You could get the CMYK value and plug it in if you had a measuring program...like ProfileMaker Measure Tool. I dont know what other ones are out there.

JWesthead

Actually I think you would have to create a spot color because I wouldnt trust two different programs interpreting CMYK values the same.

JWesthead

Actually in ProductionHouse if you go through Setup/Postscript/ColorMatchingTable then go to User Defined Tab and Add, theres an area you can use a spectraphotometer and will measure out an LAB value ..... from there whatever you name it create a spot color with that EXACT name in Illustrator and the RIP will the recognize it and make the proper adjustments to achieve it.

As others have said, the User Defined Tab of the Spot Color Matching Table, and define as a spot color with LAB values behind it. Then create a spot color of the same name in Illustrator (or your vector app of choice), and you are good to go.