• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Crashing on Certain Font

klmiller611

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem with Onyx, mine is version 8. I struggled yesterday afternoon. I had a bunch of formatted stuff for coro, that was a listing of vendors by row, so each sign is different. I composed the signs in Indesign CS5, copied my lists out of Excel, pasted, then formatted to suit.

Made my PDFs the usual way, took them to the RIP, and they took forever to RIP, or consistently crashed the RIP before finishing. Since I was on a deadline for today for these, I decided to take the panels into Photoshop and make JPEGs and RIP those, as I knew that would wok. As I finished making the JPEGs, something clicked in my weak little brain about the RIP crashing previously, so I went back to my Indesign files, and searched for fonts, sure enough there was Minion in the document, where I had picked up text from Excel.

Last year sometime on some client supplied files, I ran into the same issue with documents using Minion. Took me a while to figure it out, if I change that font out to something else, no problem.

Anyone else run into this one? The font, when checked is not corrupted, I just think there is something about it that Onyx does not like. Hoping by posting this, I can save someone else some irritation as well. Also by posting, I hope that it will help me remember my issue sooner the next time rather than waste 3-4 hours on this.

This is why Font is a four-letter "F" word!

Ken Miller

rjssigns

We always convert fonts to outlines. When all else fails take your PDF and burn a PostScript using Acrobat Pro. Works a treat.

jfiscus

Rap Master
In Acrobat:
Go to Tools > Print Production > Flattener Preview and check the box to "Convert All Text to Outlines" and choose Apply to PDF - All Pages in Document.