Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onyx Cut-server double line?

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Marshal, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I just ran a file through Onyx postershop, printed on my Epson S80600, and sent to my Summa S2T160 through cut-server. It had 7 different files on it, and at least 5 of them double cut with a tiny offset, so they're ruined. I can't find anything different in the file setup, they were all created using the same template, and nothing is different in the cutpath layer in illustrator.

It's almost like instead of following the center of the cutpath line it tried to cut both sides of the line, but only on some of them. All the cutpaths in illustrator are strokes, with the same stroke thickness, and no fill.

Has anyone run into this before and knows how to fix it? Does the stroke thickness have anything to do with it?

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

If it cut double lines, then the double lines are in the layout that was sent to it. If your layout is one like we often receive where objects get doubled when exported, usually because they have a stroke, then both filled object and the stroked object without fill may have been given the CutContour color for a stroke.

3. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    Our layouts are created in-house, and I'm using the .eps files to print. I've dug through the files in Illustrator and can't find a single difference in the cutpath layer in any of them, and there's nothing else in the file that has lines where the cutpaths are. It seems odd that only some of the files would do it.

4. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I have this happen occasionally with some files our other designer has set up. Same thing when I look at them they're fine but I get the double paths in Onyx. I think it has something to do with how the actual path is made or how the file is saved, I should watch her set the file up next time to see what's happening.

5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Break the object apart in illustrator to see if there are multiple paths combined together that look like a single path. That's what we find when we receive files created in Illustrator.

6. I used to get the double cut lines with Onyx and was told by a member here that making the cut path a solid object with fill and no stroke is a work around. I guess Onyx cuts both sides of the stoke.

7. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Any chance one is half cut and one is contour cut? But like others said probably your path that is messed up.

8. MI Bearcat

MI Bearcat Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Canton, Michigan
    We get that every so often also. If it has a stroke, make sure in Illustrator it's centered versus inner or outer.

9. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    This looks like it'll fix it. Although it's an annoying way to fix it. I'm also trying making the stroke as close to 0 as possible without being 0, to see if it'll double cut or anything.

It's definitely cutting both sides of the stroke, or that seems to be the issue anyway. I can't figure out why some files were doing it and some weren't, literally everything I can find in illustrator has them exactly the same. Heck, they're all from the same customer using the same template, so the cut layer was created from a single original file.

edit: making the stroke close to 0 didn't work, it just cuts twice in that spot. But making it a fill instead of a stroke does work.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  10. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    don't use strokes just use fills we got faults like this all the time, changed to fill never had it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdjamesd

mdjamesd Member

May 28, 2008
    Timonium, MD
    Instead of using eps files, use a pdf. Solved our double cut-path nightmare

12. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Never had this problem with strokes, only get it when the file had been flattened and the “convert all strokes to outlines” was left checked. If you zoom in really close, when you click the line does it give you a path in the centre or a path either side of the line?

13. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    path in the center.

Flipping it to fill instead of stroke fixed the problem for me 99% of the time.

14. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Odd! Never had that problem but good to know how to fix it! We export all our files to PDF so hoping that’s just an eps issue.

15. Danielsdzyn

Danielsdzyn New Member

May 13, 2018
    Frederick, Maryland
    So I may know what the solution to the double cutting is.
    I've never had this issue when doing pdfs so, when saving EPS. Go to "save as".
    Beside "preset" select "custom"
    then UNCHECK "convert all strokes to outlines"
    I'm trying it now. Should work.

16. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    as stated above,
    no work around necessary, just set your cut swatch as an object fill....NOT a stroke.
    (a stroke is two lines offset from object when converted to paths. an object has one line, at its true shape)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    This comes up pretty often. It usually happens when you're cutting something with a transparency, such as a PNG.

The cut color gets copied into the transparency and this creates double cut lines.

If you flatten your image, it'll go away 99% of the time and only do 1 cut line.