• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Cutserver doing double cuts

Bly

Version 2.0, App core version 7.3.2.16.
I give cutlines the CutContour spot colour name and often I get double cuts on the same path, or a double cut slightly offset.
Annoying!

Anyone encountered this problem?

Letterbox Mike

Yup, same here. Somehow sometimes the cut contour stroke gets outlined (converted to a solid object, no stroke) when saving the file. It seems like it has something to do with the transparency presets when saving files, or at least that's my best bet. I've yet to be able to solve it though, no matter what settings I tweak. I've tried various formats, .ai, .eps, .pdf, and different versions of those from Illustrator 3 all the way up to CS5 with no luck. While I know something behind the scenes is afoot, it seems completely random and unpredictable.

I'm hoping some Onyx or Adobe super-gurus can shed some light on this as well.

skdave

Hair line double contour cut.

I have this issue with both my sp540 and my xc540
Just happens sometimes. Looking for a reason.

MikePro

same here, always in the file tho'. Whenever I piece my artwork back together making absolutely sure there's only 1 cut path, it works just fine

MikePro

the hairline offset on the double cuts actually comes from the blade shaving the existing cutline or the material flowing different under the blade, on multiple passes, me thinks

eye4clr

I got this as well. Very annoying!

Now i don't use a stroke but a solid fill instead. Works as expected.

But, I've gotten 0.25 inch offset from my UV system with the same version you're running. Onyx seems stumped on the problem. After a couple of call backs all I get is crickets.

I really wish I had the cash for Caldera. i would love to dump Onxy and their policy of pushing immature software on us.

Letterbox Mike

eye4clr, I wondered if that would work but I never tried it. So instead of a stroked outline you just make the cut line a solid filled object of the CC spot color? No problems at all eh? Seems like a simple enough fix and it makes sense...

true, no stroke, fill only

+1

Also, we always put the CutContour on the top layer -- this way you can double check that it is there when in Preflight, by shutting off the CutContour option in the PS Setup - Properties window. The designer always makes it an obnoxious color so it stands out...

HaroldDesign

Be sure to flatten transparency in the art!!!! Has completely solved it for me, anyway. I suspect it will for you also.

bosdub

We have also had this same issue. Oftentimes not just double cut lines but lines that take off in odd directions! No rhyme or reason to it.

I'll be trying the fill vs. stroke method today

Thanks