• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Go (subscription) vs Onyx 22.5 vs Other RIP

Goatshaver

I'm wondering if anyone here is using the Onyx subscription model. Also open to possibly another software like Flexi, which also offers a subscription model.
I'll be running a Epson solvent printer, a Mimaki UV roll-2-roll printer and one Graphtech cutter, possibly a Summa cutter but the Summa is a backup.
I'm getting a new printer and I know I'm going to have to update my RIP software, but I'm trying to figure out the best route. I'm using Onyx 19 right now and I'm used to the workflow and setup of it. I haven't tried Onyx Go yet but any feedback on experience with the subscription service would be great for me to digest. I like the idea of owning software and not paying for a subscription but I like the fact that subscriptions will keep the software up the the latest versions.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
You can go on onyx advantage (silver or gold) and that will keep your onyx up to date each year. It's more than buying the subscription, but onyx Go is watered down vs thrive.
I'd get the advantage soon before x24 comes out and it may be late to update x19.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yea you should upgrade it right away Today. V24 is coming out right now and then your upgrade gets more expensive.

I would go with permanent license. If you are going to keep it couple years at least the price is about the same.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Yea you should upgrade it right away Today. V24 is coming out right now and then your upgrade gets more expensive.

Just make sure you get V24 license even if they technically still sell you 22.5. Usually you get the newest this close release.

I would go with permanent license. If you are going to keep it couple years at least the price is about the same.
You can't get x24 licence.
You only get the Onyx advantage for whatever is the current version. so if he gets advantage now, he'll be upgraded to x22.5, then when x24 is released, he'll get x24 with his advantage subscription.
But yes, get advantage now, as the older your software is to the current, you need to pay a premium to upgrade.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can't get x24 licence.
You only get the Onyx advantage for whatever is the current version. so if he gets advantage now, he'll be upgraded to x22.5, then when x24 is released, he'll get x24 with his advantage subscription.
But yes, get advantage now, as the older your software is to the current, you need to pay a premium to upgrade.
Edit: My bad, I get what you are saying now and you are correct. On the upgrade that's how it works, yep.

I mixed my thoughts with a new license. If I order one today and even tho they sell it as "22.5." they always seem to upgrade it to next version this close to release. Even without advantage. Actually already confirmed that. If you order new license today, it will get V24 on the release day.
Slow morning today but again, I would upgrade it ASAP if you are going to do it.

Finally a big update with V24. Lots of more things than 21...22... came out with.

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I personally prefer owning software. Especially when it comes to Onyx Thrive. Every few years when they add valuable features we'll upgrade if we see fit. Last time we upgraded to 22.5, it came w/ a year of Onyx Advantage so I'm hoping that will cover "free" upgrade to v24 when it comes out.

Nice thing about owning onyx is that you don't have to upgrade as often to "keep up with the times". It's not like design software where you may receive files that you can't open. They will, however, not support older versions after a while so I guess they get you there.

Regarding running multiple printers and cutters, Onyx is great for this. We've run Rolands, Mimakis, Oce, Epson printers and Summa roll and flatbed cutters all out of Onyx Thrive. I don't know anything about Flexi but I don't think it's in the same league at all.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I personally prefer owning software. Especially when it comes to Onyx Thrive. Every few years when they add valuable features we'll upgrade if we see fit. Last time we upgraded to 22.5, it came w/ a year of Onyx Advantage so I'm hoping that will cover "free" upgrade to v24 when it comes out.

Nice thing about owning onyx is that you don't have to upgrade as often to "keep up with the times". It's not like design software where you may receive files that you can't open. They will, however, not support older versions after a while so I guess they get you there.

Regarding running multiple printers and cutters, Onyx is great for this. We've run Rolands, Mimakis, Oce, Epson printers and Summa roll and flatbed cutters all out of Onyx Thrive. I don't know anything about Flexi but I don't think it's in the same league at all.
if your subscription of Advantage lasts till the release of x24, you'll get it.
but onyx has this thing where they like to release new software, not every year, but every 13-14 months. kind of irritating.

Goatshaver

You can go on onyx advantage (silver or gold) and that will keep your onyx up to date each year. It's more than buying the subscription, but onyx Go is watered down vs thrive.
I'd get the advantage soon before x24 comes out and it may be late to update x19.
Ahh good to know. I'm just waiting to hear back from them to find out how much it'll be for the upgrade, probably be the same as buying it new at this point since I'm on version 19.
I didn't know about advantage though and that may be a good option. I'm on Thrive now and would rather not downgrade to the subscription model.

Agreed. I know I'll need the update as I'm getting the UCJV330 now because I'm sure Thrive 19 won't be supporting a brand new machine very well. The only subscription I can live with now is Adobe. IMO having a subscription for a RIP is silly.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Ahh good to know. I'm just waiting to hear back from them to find out how much it'll be for the upgrade, probably be the same as buying it new at this point since I'm on version 19.
I didn't know about advantage though and that may be a good option. I'm on Thrive now and would rather not downgrade to the subscription model.

Agreed. I know I'll need the update as I'm getting the UCJV330 now because I'm sure Thrive 19 won't be supporting a brand new machine very well. The only subscription I can live with now is Adobe. IMO having a subscription for a RIP is silly.
I would find out exactly how up to date their drivers are for that new printer.

When we first got our UCJV300 - Onyx had JUST started supporting it and it took us a full day with a tech to create just (1) custom profile. (At our expense) It gets complicated when you start introducing spot colors and Onyx on that printer from what I've seen. Hopefully they've improved that but just be aware that it might not be plug & play if you're counting on using/creating profiles that use spot colors.

Goatshaver

I would find out exactly how up to date their drivers are for that new printer.

When we first got our UCJV300 - Onyx had JUST started supporting it and it took us a full day with a tech to create just (1) custom profile. (At our expense) It gets complicated when you start introducing spot colors and Onyx on that printer from what I've seen. Hopefully they've improved that but just be aware that it might not be plug & play if you're counting on using/creating profiles that use spot colors.
Ahh yes I didn't think about that and with this machine being very new that may be an issue. Worst case scenario is I'll have to use Rasterlink for a while, not my idea setup but if it will get the job done.

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Ahh yes I didn't think about that and with this machine being very new that may be an issue. I'll pose that question to Onyx when they get back to me. Worst case scenario is I'll have to use Rasterlink for a while, not my idea setup but if it will get the job done.
CJV330-130 & CJV330-160 are in the new drivers :)