• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx newbie

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So we’ve recently switched to onyx (18.5) and I have a few things I’d like to do but haven’t found out how yet!

Basically I have a job for 2000 different, numbered decals that need print and cut, onyx wants to just print them all at once, but we don’t have a take up roll on our laminator so ideally I’d like to to split these into maybe 11 sheets worth have a gap between each sheet, along with the top and bottom summa barcodes for each sheet. Is this something it can do? Or am I best splitting the pdf into sections then printing a small amount at a time?

Essentially, what I’d like to do is tell onyx I want a sheet “x” big (approx 55” by 38”), and then have it fill
It with as many decals as possible then repeat until all the artwork is printed. Then have a decent sized gap between each sheet so I can cut them off and cut them on our summa s class as I’m still laminating. Is this possible?

Whilst I’m here, as an onyx newbie, if you can share any of your favourite tips/tricks that would also be ideal! I think I have all the main stuff down but haven’t had the time to divulge into any of the intricacies yet.

Thanks for any help!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I ended up splitting the PDF into 10 different PDF’s with 200 pages then dropped one PDF into the quickset shortcut, print, drop the other one in, print, and so on. Just felt like there should have been a quicker way to do it lol. Can you batch them in onyx or did you mean the way I done it/a similar way?

unclebun

When I do numbered decals, I use Corel's print merge feature, so I'd be sending the print jobs to Onyx in groups of 200.

Bly

In Rip Queue click the current media and page size gear icon and select custom page size.
Set to whatever size you want - then it will split the job up into pages that size.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
In Rip Queue click the current media and page size gear icon and select custom page size.
Set to whatever size you want - then it will split the job up into pages that size.

Thats exactly what I was after! Thanks! I knew there had to be an easier way!

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

White Haus

Not a Newbie

Thanks, this is good to know. We use the custom sheet sizes for the flatbed but didn't think of using it for roll to roll.

While we're talking Onyx tips and tricks..... does anyone know if it's possible to print & cut in one step on Roland from Onyx? It's a simple step in Versaworks but I haven't found a way without printing crop marks and having to send the cut from CutServer.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I ended up splitting the PDF into 10 different PDF’s with 200 pages then dropped one PDF into the quickset shortcut, print, drop the other one in, print, and so on. Just felt like there should have been a quicker way to do it lol. Can you batch them in onyx or did you mean the way I done it/a similar way?

We're you able to use the barcodes to get your Summa to cut everything automatically? Or did you have to send down each cut file manually? We have a Summa S140T and was talking to our supplier's tech yesterday and he was telling me about this. Ours doesn't have OPOS-CAM so I had assumed (incorrectly) that we can't read barcodes and use the automated workflow but apparently we still can.

PS. If anyone has any documents or links to how this can be done with Onyx/Summa I'd love to see them!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Do you mean get the cutter to find the barcode then cut the file on each sheet without having to go back to the pc and hit “cut now”?

We have an s class 2 160T (not an OPOS-CAM either). Basically I hit print, laminate said print, put it in the cutter. In the cutter menu, I go to actions - barcode then find the barcode. Once it’s read that it just automatically cuts.

If that is the case, ours did stop automatically cutting for a bit, in onyx cut server, (guessing at names after this as I’m still relatively new and not at the pc, but this will be a general idea) I opened up manage cutters, chose the cutter, went to “configure cutter”. The two main things I had to put back on were cut to folder (the folder summa cut server is looking at) and then turned on “send cut files automatically” - I don’t think that’s quite the right name but it’s something to that effect.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We're you able to use the barcodes to get your Summa to cut everything automatically? Or did you have to send down each cut file manually? We have a Summa S140T and was talking to our supplier's tech yesterday and he was telling me about this. Ours doesn't have OPOS-CAM so I had assumed (incorrectly) that we can't read barcodes and use the automated workflow but apparently we still can.

PS. If anyone has any documents or links to how this can be done with Onyx/Summa I'd love to see them!

Forgot to reply to you in the above. If that’s not what you’re after, let me know. The summa guy left a few pdf’s In his install folder so could get those to you if necessary.

Snydo

There is a .pdf attached to post #18 that is pretty informative, and you can definately read barcodes on OPOS standard.

<a href="https://signs101.com/threads/onyx-p...ting-and-contour-cutting.150067/#post-1404862">Onyx processing files for printing and contour cutting</a>