• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx not showing job in preview window

JimmyInTN

We use Onyx (22.0.2.1091) for our Roland TrueVIS VG3-640 and VG3-540 wide formats and to output files for our Ricoh flat bed printer. The problem I'm having is Onyx will process a job for one of the Rolands and it will say "Waiting to Print", but the job isn't displayed in the preview window, where the print button would usually be. Onyx "sees" the printer because I can get it to update the media width. I can turn the printer "offline" and then bring it back online, but the job still will not appear in the preview window. The only way I can get it to show up is by closing out of Onyx and restarting, which I can't do if I'm running a job on the other Roland. Anyone else ever have this happen? If so, how did you fix it. It's driving us crazy. Especially if the one printer is in the middle of printing a large batch that will take 3-4 hours to print and we really need to get a job going on the other printer.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Have you tried toggling back and forth with the placement strategy? Sometimes changing from "Conserve media" to "Print jobs together" (or whatever the wording is, I'm not near our RIP station) will get the preview to work again and allow you to hit print now.

Also, selecting/deselecting the "get media width from printer" seems to sometimes fix the bug. Really annoying either way.

We have this issue quite often with our Mimaki UCJV - happened just yesterday. Had to run through above steps a couple of times just to get it to work, then when I was finally allowed to send it down, it turns out it wasn't even communicating with the printer. The printer constantly changes it's own IP address and we have to compare what printer says and what Onyx thinks the IP address used to be, and update in Onyx. Could possibly be a similar issue with your scenario.

JimmyInTN

Have you tried toggling back and forth with the placement strategy? Sometimes changing from "Conserve media" to "Print jobs together" (or whatever the wording is, I'm not near our RIP station) will get the preview to work again and allow you to hit print now.

Also, selecting/deselecting the "get media width from printer" seems to sometimes fix the bug. Really annoying either way.

We have this issue quite often with our Mimaki UCJV - happened just yesterday. Had to run through above steps a couple of times just to get it to work, then when I was finally allowed to send it down, it turns out it wasn't even communicating with the printer. The printer constantly changes it's own IP address and we have to compare what printer says and what Onyx thinks the IP address used to be, and update in Onyx. Could possibly be a similar issue with your scenario.
I tried all those steps and it still doesn't show in the preview window. I change the material and the job status changes to waiting on media mismatch. I changed it back to the correct material and the status changes back to waiting to print, but still doesn't show in the preview window. I even turned the printer off and back on, set it offline and then back online in Onyx, reprocessed the job and it still just says waiting to print. Our printers have set IP addresses, so that shouldn't be an issue. Makes no sense.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I tried all those steps and it still doesn't show in the preview window. I change the material and the job status changes to waiting on media mismatch. I changed it back to the correct material and the status changes back to waiting to print, but still doesn't show in the preview window. I even turned the printer off and back on, set it offline and then back online in Onyx, reprocessed the job and it still just says waiting to print. Our printers have set IP addresses, so that shouldn't be an issue. Makes no sense.
Weird. Can you compare all the IP addresses on physical printers match what they're set to in Onyx?

Possibly some kind of firewall issue blocking communication between RIP station and printers?

Just throwing ideas out there.

Have you tried calling Onyx support? They're usually pretty good at giving answers.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I have been having issues very occasionally with the backside of double sided jobs not showing up that I have worked through. As far as Onyx support goes, it's great they are available, but I was very disappointed when I they told me the Patterns feature was not meant for print and cut application after I had no issues for 3 years until I went to v22 from 19. I thought they had fixed the backwards feed direction for the FC9000 in 22 which is why I upgraded and they didn't after previously lying about it when I called in on it for 19). Yesterday I ripped the same file 3 times and it only came in the q correctly sized once.

It used to be that every other time I worked with Onyx at different jobs it would be solid or bad, now it seems like they said "F it, our users know our problems and can figure out a way through them". I've had Caldera (both Linux and Mac), VW, whatever that one Vutek had in the early 2000s, but I keep getting sucked in deeper to Onyx because I know it in and out for the good and mainly the bad. I know how to fix most issues, but they just keep finding more to throw at me.

Now pair that with HP Latex printers :banghead: