• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Onyx paper profiles

Anastasi55

Hello, First time poster here

I'm working with an Epson Surecolor S60600 with an Onyx rip and a Graphtec cutter. I had initial training with one paper profile, which worked out well with vinyl and glossy paper, but when we switched to a satin finish, we got desaturated colors. I also have errors from the rip when I try to use a clear vinyl with a smaller width (it doesn't even print)... The technician is booked solid and I can't get any support. Does anyone here have any ideas?

unclebun

Use the Onyx Printer and Profile Download Manager to browse available profiles and download and install appropriate profiles for the media types you use.

When you use a media with a narrower width than what you were using before, you have to tell Onyx the width of the new media, and then make sure that the image you are trying to print fits on the media. If there's a mismatch it won't print.

Dan360

I've found that gloss media generally have better colour saturation compared to other finishes. Do you have photos to compare the results?

Anastasi55

Thanks for the replies!

Unclebun, I tried to download a profile for Onyx, right from the media manufacturer, and I got a "conflicting paper size" error and it didn't print at all. Somehow, I don't get the full gamut of widths to choose from to set the measurement, but with other profiles, I could set the next nearest measurement and it would print. I don't know if there is a conflict between Onyx and the printer's profiles...

Dan, the next time we try the satin finish, I'll take a photo... The other designer just put it in recycling...

Anastasi55

One would think it would be easy - However, I have a 27 inch roll, but the only options are either 30 or 24 inch under that profile... With the generic profile that works for my 36" wide glossy stock, I was able to fake it by choosing the next smaller width... I'm heading to the Onyx site next if I can't get my tech support guy here...

Bly

I think you can download profiles through the Epson dashboard app.
We make our own so never needed to do that though.

Bly

Buy an Xrite i1 and yes through Onyx.
I think you can sync the profiles with Onyx.
As I said I haven't done it so can't be of any help with details.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
It should be possible to just create a custom paper size, as others have said just have a look at a few videos online. Should be pretty easy to get to grips with

unclebun

You add media sizes in the Media Manager. Or, after you've loaded the media, have Onyx query the printer for the media size.

Have you had any training on how to do what you are trying to do? These are all basic things that should have been handled in the training you got when your vendor came and set up your machine and software.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Or, after you've loaded the media, have Onyx query the printer for the media size.

Exactly this... every time we load, there is minor variation between roll widths (or where we place the edge guards).

Load your media and wait for the printer to stop doing its song and dance routine, then...
Click the gear on this menu on the right hand side of the RIP-Queue:
upload_2019-5-29_9-44-8.png

Then click the Manual Update button:

upload_2019-5-29_9-45-19.png

It will probably throw an error about being unable to synchronise media that isn't official Epson... ignore it and click OK.
Next screen will ask for roll length. We just leave it at the default length which is around 30 metres.
It should then return to the same screen as above, with an automatically adjusted Page Size reflecting the correct width of the loaded roll of media.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Anastasi55

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I did get tech support from Grimco, both on the phone and in person... (I played around and found the manual settings as well) We did have to massage the profiles somewhat, as well as the cut Conditions... I think we need to get media that's formulated for the solvent based ink. We're trying to use up the old rolls that were made for water-based ink - it may not be worth it...

... I think we need to get media that's formulated for the solvent based ink. We're trying to use up the old rolls that were made for water-based ink - it may not be worth it...

Bingo.

Eco-solvent printers require papers that have specific coatings built for solvent ink. You cannot run aqueous coated papers, or offset coated, or un-coated bond papers in any eco-solvent printer, and expect a satisfactory result. Solvent ink requires PVC-based media, or specific solvent-reactive coatings on everything that is not vinyl.

Last edited:

Anastasi55

<sigh> and getting the owner of my company to sit down to a meeting with a media expert to review products is like pulling teeth...