• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx print information log?

Andy D

This is a long shot question and will be hard to explain…

Many of our clients are corporations with brand identities.
Most of these brand identities have specified one or many PMS spot colors,
and while I have my printers profiled out on multiple substrates, there is always fine tuning to fit the clients perception, for
example, the CMYK I use for PMS 185 for one customer isn’t the same CMYK I use for PMS 185 for another customer because they
thought it looked too “orangey”.

I make two copies of the approved printed hard copy , one for my files, but would like to have a print out of all of the information, such as profile used,
color replacements, % of white used, etc. to file away with the hard copy.

Is there anywhere Onyx has all this info compiled?

scott pagan

it's not too bad if you have a recent RIP you can (re-)edit in preflight to review settings, but if it's an older RIP that you don't have in active queue, i haven't been able to find all the data i'd like to review like the original post above.

our old 3M scotchprint 9500 and 2000 RIP used to generate a text file that would display all RIP data into a simple form. output size, scaling, rotation, icc profiles and rendering intents, tiling panel size and overlap size, and any color adjustments... whatever you could edit at RIP would be included in that text document.

it would be nice if Onyx RIP had a similar feature.

i would also like a screen capture form that could be printed for job work order filing so there could be a visual aid hard copy of how each output looked. right now i just do a basic 'printscreen', copy/paste, save as jpg, print out as needed.

Andy D

Screen capturing is a good idea, ty.
Is there a screen capturing program that you prefer for this task?

scott pagan

i just use ms paint since it's a basic capture of what is onscreen. part of my workflow is before i send preflight jobs to print, i press "printscreen" key on keyboard (top row) to copy to clipboard, then paste into blank paint document. it will only "save" visual of whichever tab i happen to be on, so i make sure the size/scale tab is one that i save in the screencap.

very simple. kinda crude. but it works :)

MagnetStew

Open the job in Onyx Job Editor (or pre-flight) and "package" the job (FILE -> Package Job). This saves all the changes (color corrections/profiles/etc.) you made to the job in an .onx file that can be saved in the same folder as the original. Once a job is packaged it will only open on the printer it was saved under (if you have more than one this is very handy). I do this all the time with jobs I know I am going to be printing on a frequent basis. PM if you have any questions.