• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

onyx profiling

BrokenArrow

I am having issues profiling my Mimaki Jv5 in onyx 10x. The issue is i cant get my pantone 4/c process to match my pantone coated. I made a profile on a Roland 1045 and all the Pantones were spot on using the same inks but using onyx 7. I am more familiar with the process of profiling with onyx 7. After making my tenth profile i have givin up. Can someone give me advice on how to bring the two Pantone processes closer to the same color. Thank you

eye4clr

are you leaving the pantones in the file as pantones and not converting them to straight CMYK?

It all hinges in the names. If Onyx finds a match in it's library, then you should get a pretty good match.

Terremoto

The issue is i cant get my pantone 4/c process to match my pantone coated. I made a profile on a Roland 1045 and all the Pantones were spot on using the same inks but using onyx 7.

Tough call. Pantone colours are created using 14 base colours so you're going to run into problems trying to create a Pantone colour with a CMYK printer.

Can someone give me advice on how to bring the two Pantone processes closer to the same color. Thank you

What two Pantone processes? "Pantone 4/c" is something I'm not familiar with. If you mean matching the colour output from your digital printer to a Pantone Coated fan book that's something different entirely. Unless you're printing using Pantone approved/certified inks then get yourself a Pantone Bridge fan book. It's more relevant for sign guys printing to wide format digital printers.

Dan

BrokenArrow

Im looking at the onyx quality test pdf. There are two rows of colors one row is pantone solid coated( which i assume is the color of the pantone using the predetermined pantone color breakdown) and the second row which is called pantone 4/c process( which i assume is the color of the pantone with the icc applied). When i profiled my roland using the same inks i got the two rows of colors to match perfect. Now on the mimaki the 2 rows are way off particularly anything with yellow but the 4/c process is closer to what the color is in the pantone book is. I am not expecting to match the color to a pantone book with dyesub its too difficult. Are the two rows suppose to match?

signswi

No, they aren't. One is the PMS Spot as interpreted by Onyx, one is the Pantone Process Color version of that spot. The Process Color swatch should match the Process Color swatch in your Bridge book (right side), the PMS Spot should get even closer (typically) to the actual PMS than the Process version as digital inkjets usually have a wider gamut than offset process does.