• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx - recommended hardware to run it?

k_graham

I need a RIP to run a new HP 260 Latex printer and a separate cutter and intend to try both Onyx(Adobe APPE version) and Caldera, however I don't seem to see recommended hardware if someone cares to point me in the right direction.

It seems Onyx is 32 bit, so probably limited to 3 Gigs, maybe per printer so possibly 6 gigs maybe more if used as a workstation as well but is that recommended?

Hard drive(s), I am partial to the Western Digital Black 7200 RPM due to 5 year warranty. Any point in a SSD as I assume only RIP software will be operating. I assume a 2nd hard drive would be useful if operating both as workstation doing art work and running RIP but if only as a RIP, any advantage to more than 1 and what size, and speed?

Gigabit Networking, will it make use of dual Ethernet card for good input to unit and output to printers.

Graphics card, whats recommended, I'm guessing one can use this for releasing jobs at the printer area, vs via remote desktop . Any advantage to having a 27" monitor or 2 monitors - could 1 be used for preview, or do you always remote view so a graphics card and monitor are redundant?

Processor, Intel I7 vs Xeon vs AMD?

Any point in Windows 8 for Onyx as that seems to be the consumer offering these days, or is Windows 7 preferred, professional?

Thanks,

Ken

Letterbox Mike

We run the Production House suite (RIP Center, Layout Tool, Cut Server, Media Manager, etc.) to drive 3 printers and a cutter on a system with these specs:

-i7 860 @2.53ghz
-16gb RAM
-Win7-64 bit

The OS and non-essential programs are on one Intel SSD, Onyx is on a second Intel SSD, and there are three Western Digital 10k rpm drives, one for each printer's scratch disk and job folders.

Runs like a tank, and cost around $1300 or so to build.

k_graham

We run the Production House suite (RIP Center, Layout Tool, Cut Server, Media Manager, etc.) to drive 3 printers and a cutter on a system with these specs:

-i7 860 @2.53ghz
-16gb RAM
-Win7-64 bit

The OS and non-essential programs are on one Intel SSD, Onyx is on a second Intel SSD, and there are three Western Digital 10k rpm drives, one for each printer's scratch disk and job folders.

Runs like a tank, and cost around $1300 or so to build.

What was the reason for Operating system and Onyx on separate SSD's, as should be loaded into RAM with 16 gb of RAM it seems to me perhaps they could be on one, perhaps 128 gig SSD?

Anything special for Video or was the processor one with built in Video?

Regards the 3 Western Digital 10k systems, did you go for that versus SSD's for extra space affordable yet still faster that 7200k or would you do it differently now as SSD's have come down in price?

Did you build yourself or do you have a suggested supplier?

Thanks,

Ken

Christian @ 2CT Media

Not all portions of Onyx fully load in to memory, I have my Onyx install on a 60GB SSD and my Band home on a 32GB SSD. I have a 120GB SSD for each of my printers Work Folders, and I use a 1TB Hot Drive for Files.

k_graham

Not all portions of Onyx fully load in to memory, I have my Onyx install on a 60GB SSD and my Band home on a 32GB SSD. I have a 120GB SSD for each of my printers Work Folders, and I use a 1TB Hot Drive for Files.

Sounds like a Virtual RAM drive would be useful http://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharge_your_pc_with_a_ram_disk.html . Sorry, what was a Band Home, I'm guessing you meant your Operatingy system but if so why not just have it with Onyx - or was it a issue of cost of SSD's when you set it up and 2 were cheaper than 1 larger 1. Do you think the 10k drive would be beneficial in place of folder drive or not so beneficial as your work is being done in the SSD drives.

Thanks,

Ken

Christian @ 2CT Media

Band Home is Onyx rapid access files... when processing items it loads files in to the band home for quick access later. After the job is processed it clears these temp files. If you put it under one ssd it works fine, I broke it out because I had an extra 32gb drive and it increase my speeds about 10% over 1 drive. Splitting the onyx install from the main os drive was a huge increase, and having individual work drives per printer was an even bigger increase.