• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx RIP / Printing images with Embedded Profile if different from quick set

TheMechanic

Hi guys, I have a big Q and haven't been able to figure it out. Some of my images need to be printed in sRGB, some in ProPhoto and some in AdobeRGB. I configured the default quickset to use sRGB as the RGB Image/Vector profile and checked the 'Use Embedded Profile when Available' checkbox.

I expected the RIP to use the embedded profile but if I send a ProPhoto tagged document, the results are disastrous. In an effort to work around the issue, i've created quicksets for adobeRGB and ProPhoto to get around the issue.

What is the best approach? Am I reading the issue incorrectly? Screenshot below, please advise - tx!

Onyx.jpg

Correct Color

Some of my images need to be printed in sRGB, some in ProPhoto and some in AdobeRGB.

Given that the settings you've showed should work, I'm wondering just what you mean here.

sRGB, ProPhoto, and Adobe 1998 RGB are all working spaces, not printing spaces. So none of your images are ever going to be "printed in" those spaces. They're always going to be converted from those spaces to the final printer color space -- which is your printer profile.

And for that to work, your images have to be created in those spaces, not just tagged as them.

So basically, it'd take more info to figure out what's going on, because if you're creating your files correctly, again, the settings you're showing should work.

dypinc

Hi guys, I have a big Q and haven't been able to figure it out. Some of my images need to be printed in sRGB, some in ProPhoto and some in AdobeRGB. I configured the default quickset to use sRGB as the RGB Image/Vector profile and checked the 'Use Embedded Profile when Available' checkbox.

I expected the RIP to use the embedded profile but if I send a ProPhoto tagged document, the results are disastrous. In an effort to work around the issue, i've created quicksets for adobeRGB and ProPhoto to get around the issue.

What is the best approach? Am I reading the issue incorrectly? Screenshot below, please advise - tx!

View attachment 117392

When you say images are you referring to tifs and jpgs with embedded profiles? Most RIPs honor these, but I have seen many RIPs that do not honor embedded profiles on PDFs.

If you are embedding your RGB working spaces and the RIP is not recognizing them as the input profile than yes you are going to have to create a quick set for each or for each job go in and edit the input profiles.

TheMechanic

Gents, tx for your respones!

All of my images are JPGs in SRGB. I'd like to offer pro clients the ability to print images that have been edited in ProPhoto or AdobeRGB. I thought Onyx Thrive would pick up the different Embedded profile and use it prior to sending to the output profile, but it appears that functionality is not working in my workflow. As dypinc suggested, I've gone with quicksets for each environment.

TheMechanic

Gents, quick q. I've created my profiles on i1Profiler (V4 Profiles, 2600 patches/i1 pro spectrophotometer). I configured Onyx to use my i1profiler-generated profiles.

In photoshop, I get very nice shadow detail. In onyx, the shadows are significantly less defined and the overall image darker. I've enabled black point compensation on Thrive and use the Perceptual rendering intent, same as I do in Photoshop yet yielding very different output.

What can I do to fix this? Should I re-profile in Onyx or is this a possible configuration issue on the RIP? I'd very much like to use my x-rite profiles as the color reproduction has always been excellent for me.

TheMechanic

I forgot to make a quick point. I profiled all my printers and media using i1Profiler, even printed the targets using the software. If Onyx is processing it any different than the raster print driver, my profiles are meaningless.

Will reprinting the targets in Onyx with all color management off be a step in the right direction? It's the only thing I see can be an issue.

dypinc

I forgot to make a quick point. I profiled all my printers and media using i1Profiler, even printed the targets using the software. If Onyx is processing it any different than the raster print driver, my profiles are meaningless.

Will reprinting the targets in Onyx with all color management off be a step in the right direction? It's the only thing I see can be an issue.

If your printer is a iPF5000 you can address it as an RGB device or as a CMYK device, which I wouldn't advise unless to eliminate the use of the RGB inks and limit to CMYK only. CMYKRGB is a real challenge to linearize.

If you address it as an RGB device than an RGB output profile should produce the same results in Onyx as in the printer driver unless you're somehow adding some linearization/calibration control in Onyx. If not and Onyx prints different with the same profile then yes you are going to have to turn color management off and print your profile targets from Onyx.

Do you not have the Profiling capability in your version of ONYX or do you like i1 Profiles better?

I assuming your printing from Windows and not the Mac OS because there are some special things that need done for the iPF Mac drivers to turn color management off.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
If you save the file as a .TIFF then in job editor on the icc profile section where it says "all ICC profiles on" you can click TIFF with embedded profiles.
The embedded profile is what the file was originally made with oe assigned in photoshop ect.

If you want to test this. Open a file go Edit > convert to profile. Then select your RGB profile i.e pro photo. save as a .TIFF
Then open it though job editor and you'll see it'll use the embedded profile.

TheMechanic

Dypinc, I use my Canon devices as RGB Contone printers. While I am licensed for the profiling capabilities of Onyx, i've grown to prefer i1profiler. I am also working from a purely Windows environment. I'll have to re-profile and print the targets through Onyx with all profiles off.

Pauly, I'll revisit using 'all ICC profiles on' instead of my custom approach.

Thanks guys!!