• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx RIP Server Executable Errors

klmiller611

Hi All

I've searched around looking for suggestions on this issue on both here and Onyx's site, but found little to give me direction. I am hoping that one of you good folks has run into something similar, and can offer some words of wisdom. This issue started yesterday, and I am dead in the water for anything right now.

I am using ONYX Production House v7.32 (yeah, I know it is old, but money to upgrade is tight right now). Production House has served us fine since its install with the Agfa Anapurna for over 5 years. There were no known changes to the system (Windows XP). This computer is only used to run Onyx and drive the printer. No email, no internet, nothing. Files are generally created inhouse on a Mac and brought to the machine on a USB stick.

I've had some occasional errors over the last year with this, but most were fixed simply by deleting files, and re-ripping. Now, once a file is ripped and ready to print, it automatically gives me a "Server Executable Error" I tried all the previous delete my ripped files method, and that solved nothing.

I then copied Onyx from a known working version on my other hard drive and updated it. Still get a crash and burn. New files, old files that had successfully ripped and printed a year ago, does not seem to matter. I have about 80 percent free space on the hard drive at any given time, so it does not seem to be a space issue. I also restored the windows system to a good known working system from several weeks ago to no avail.

I will freely admit, I am not a huge PC geek person, my background is Macs, but I do know enough about the PC to handle some things, so if someone can offer specific suggestions, I'm more than happy to try.

Thanks in advance
Ken

genericname

Did you just delete your archived jobs from the job window, or did you also empty the job folders in the Onyx directory?

klmiller611

Answers

The file types were either PDFs or JPEGs, none of which has caused me any problem in the past. The PDFs generated out of InDesign.

I removed all jobs from both the folder and the window in Onyx.

I read on Onyx's site about sometimes having cut marks cause issues, or jobs being the same size as the media with crop marks. I only had crop outlines on. But I went back and tried jobs both ways, media larger than the job, nothing worked.

Still puzzled...

Thanks
Ken

C

ColoPrinthead

Is the server crashing if you RIP the image with a different profile? I had a similar issue and it turned out it was a bad profile that was causing the failure.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
onyx

hmmm...
how big are those files? are you keeping the rip times down by using .tiff files with LZW compression? the file that has the error, how big is that?
do files that have errors vary in size?
are there fonts embedded in the files? if i remember correctly, windows HAS to have the fonts in the system that is in the rippable files, or the graphics computer.
when was the hard drive defragged?
i have seen alll kinds of weird things with onyx. definetly that model. i used it for eight years....

-Mosher

klmiller611

Still more answers

It does not seem to matter which profile I RIP the job with, as soon as it is finished, and the correct media is set, boom, crashed.

File size also does not seem to matter to the process. The PDFs can be anywhere from 45K on up, the images are as low as 2MB on up to 80MB or so, it crashes the server as soon as the file is completely ripped, not before, but right when it was ready to hit the print button.

I really hate stuff that I cannot figure out!

I appreciate all the ideas folks!

Ken

klmiller611

Solved! At least for now.

Hi Folks

After almost two days of fritzing around, I stumbled across this page:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426301/pc-keeps-crashing-onyx-rip/

I followed their directions, which I found to be a really working solution. After I did all they suggested, and believe me, I was wary of it all. I shut the PC down for the night, came back the next morning and fired it up. Now it took about 5 times to try to boot windows, it seemed to stall every time, booted into safe mode once, then shut down, restarted, and it came back to life. The software found some files relating to gaming that it flagged as Malware, which is interesting, because I am the only person who uses this machine, and it only is rarely used for web access, and only then for updates to Onyx. Unless someone else has used the machine that I did not know about.

I had cleared all the jobs out of the work folder as suggested as well. I ripped a new job, a really simple one, held my breath, and nothing crashed! Run some more complicated stuff, and it continues to run, so I am back in business.

Thanks for the suggestions, and hopefully the link above will help someone else too.

Best
Ken