• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question ONYX RIP

Jairo E. Camargo

I'm about to purchase an old HP LX26500. works great, great price while parts and inks still available. But RIP (ONYX) software is more $$$ than the printer. any suggestions. Cheers!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
A good RIP will get you further though. and you'll start to realise software for anything to do with printing is pretty expensive.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
The time onyx has saved me is well worth the money invested. Just depends how much you value your time I guess.

I’d be slightly worried about that printer though. Pretty sure it’s EOL and parts/inks etc may dry up sooner than you think.

karst41

Buy Flexi sign Pro version 10 or 11.
From Version 12 up they have removed So. Diffusion from the rendering intent.

I had a 26500 and when I upgraded to 12 all my print files became washed out.
I have had to rework everything. Onyx is not any better.

Creating layouts and design in Flexi is 10x easier than in Illustrator.

f you are an illustrator Jockey, AI files import easily into Flexi.

You can find FS 10 or 11 for about $1000.
PS Onyx is a RIP Flexi has a RIP too.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Buy Flexi sign Pro version 10 or 11.
From Version 12 up they have removed So. Diffusion from the rendering intent.

I had a 26500 and when I upgraded to 12 all my print files became washed out.
I have had to rework everything. Onyx is not any better.

Creating layouts and design in Flexi is 10x easier than in Illustrator.

f you are an illustrator Jockey, AI files import easily into Flexi.

You can find FS 10 or 11 for about $1000.
PS Onyx is a RIP Flexi has a RIP too.

if you upgraded from an earlier version of onyx to 12 and your prints where washed out. That's a media profile issue.
There's nothing to "rework" other than build a new profile or re-linearise it.

ikarasu

I'm about to purchase an old HP LX26500. works great, great price while parts and inks still available. But RIP (ONYX) software is more $$$ than the printer. any suggestions. Cheers!
Is that the one I've seen floating around on craigslist for awhile? Don't buy it. It's end of life and you cannot buy ink / parts anymore. You will not find a tech local who will service it, and you'll have to do all your own repairs... And with the age of these machines, you'll have a lot to Do.

Canada isn't like america... finding aftermarket ink/parts is a lot harder. You'll be ordering from USA, or China direct and you'll have to wait weeks whenever your machine is down. Able auctions has had about a dozen of these and they don't even sell for $100 anymore... It's just not worth it!

If you need cheap, go with Flexi... it's $50 CAD per month. Works pretty good