• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx shrinking prints when sending a print/cut file

ExecuPrintGS

Ive noticed that when i send files through our onyx thrive software, when a print is setup to cut later our prints are shrinking from the actual size they are designed.
I just sent a print that is 48" wide and the output is 46" wide.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

We are new to onyx (december last year) and overall we haven't been impressed.

Thanks for any help/ tips/ advice on fixing this issue

What is the printer model and media width that is being used?

In the Job Editor module (Size and Rotate tab), make sure that the scale is 100% (1.0) and not something less or more.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Our Onyx automatically "shrinks to fit" any oversized print, regardless if it has a cut or not. So, if your sheet size was set to 48" wide when you imported/ripped that file and you did not verify the size in the job editor, then this will happen.

ExecuPrintGS

What is the printer model and media width that is being used?

In the Job Editor module (Size and Rotate tab), make sure that the scale is 100% (1.0) and not something less or more.
Mimaki CJV30-130 with oracal 3551
Everything is set at 100% in the job editor, that was the first place i checked once i realized we were having an issue.

Our Onyx automatically "shrinks to fit" any over sized print, regardless if it has a cut or not. So, if your sheet size was set to 48" wide when you imported/ripped that file and you did not verify the size in the job editor, then this will happen.
Media is set to 54.4" on a 54" roll, i would assume the 48" print would be fine and not shrink.

When i open the jobs in the media editor they come in at full size, but once they rip and print they have shrunk.

Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming, ill keep answering and trying anything you can come up with.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have found that if I am que-ing up a lot of jobs for later printing and I rip them for 54" material, and then rip other jobs for printing on 48" material and change my material size and print those other jobs first, it SOMETIMES messes up the widths of the earlier ripped jobs (resizing them to fit the smaller materials) and then when I go to print the larger files on the correct wider material they stay the same smaller incorrect sizes. I have stopped ripping jobs for later printing because of this.

ExecuPrintGS

Is the scaling only occurring on print & cut jobs, or on all jobs, including print-only (no cut)?
Only during print and cut, if i get rid of the cut layer and send the file as just a print it prints correct and true.

I have found that if I am que-ing up a lot of jobs for later printing and I rip them for 54" material, and then rip other jobs for printing on 48" material and change my material size and print those other jobs first, it SOMETIMES messes up the widths of the earlier ripped jobs (resizing them to fit the smaller materials) and then when I go to print the larger files on the correct wider material they stay the same smaller incorrect sizes. I have stopped ripping jobs for later printing because of this.
We typically only run 54" so we rarely change, i double checked but it is still on 54" media and nothing in the past month has been setup any smaller, so i'm not thinking that is the issue, but i will keep that in mind.

Thanks

Only during print and cut, if i get rid of the cut layer and send the file as just a print it prints correct and true.

We typically only run 54" so we rarely change, i double checked but it is still on 54" media and nothing in the past month has been setup any smaller, so i'm not thinking that is the issue, but i will keep that in mind.

Thanks

Are you cutting through ONYX Cut-Server, or from a different program?

ExecuPrintGS

Just got off the phone with advantage sign for an issue with our CET, asked about the mimaki scaling cut files.
They had me print the same cut file on the CET to see if this was an onyx issue or a mimaki issue. The file printed perfectly fine to the CET so its looking like it may be a driver issue with onyx and mimaki.
Ill keep updating this as we go, id still appreciate any other possible solutions or input.
Thanks guys

ONYX Mgt

I suggest giving a call to our tech support team.

Maybe you have the offsets set to a large enough margin to affect the final print size (assuming shrink to fit is enabled). The offset adjustments are located in the printer options and can be found by highlighting the printer>change>general tab.

ExecuPrintGS

I suggest giving a call to our tech support team.

Maybe you have the offsets set to a large enough margin to affect the final print size (assuming shrink to fit is enabled). The offset adjustments are located in the printer options and can be found by highlighting the printer>change>general tab.

Thanks for the reply. Offsets are set to 0

ExecuPrintGS

Just as an update on this, we updated the drivers for the mimaki in onyx and everything seems to be back to normal.

Thanks to everyone who gave insight and suggestions. :thumb: