• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Thrive and color lineraization

dsgn4

Hi folks...we just purchased onyx thrive.and a eye1..now we dont know how to use it yet..but we are gonna learn..my question is using the eye1 and thrive..how does it color match say the same red across 4 different printers..ie.hp..roland..mimaki?

AF

One technique would be to use one of the printers as the "master" and print the red, then print swatches to select the closest match from the other printers. This technique should work with any version of Thrive that has ICC creation enabled. It would make sense to use the printer with the smallest gamut as the master.

Hotspur

The way this is done is to have (or create!) a good profile for each printer for the same media.
Then compare the icc gamuts for each profile to find the printer with the lowest gamut (you can do this in Onyx media Manager - Tools)
Then copy out the icc profile from the media profile of the printer with the lowest gamut and copy it into the input color management area of the quickset for each of the other printers.
Drill into the quickset's color management and where you can select the "proof" profile you scroll down till you see "browse" and then browse for your exported icc and import.
Do this for the three printers with a higher gamut.
This will reduce the gamut on the other three printers so that they match the gamut of the lowest common denominator - thus you get the same color from all four printers (although you are not achieving the best gamut on three of them don't forget!)
Thus all colors will match between the printers, rather than taking a red and trying to match one color.
If you try to match just one color then there will be a lot of messing around, testing and tweaking every time you have a new color that needs matching which is something you should try to avoid if at all possible.