• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx to GMG

AG Event Graphics

Hello,

So we are currently switching our rip from Onyx to GMG. L26500 has no problem with this. I built profiles for the media. Zero issues. The problem I am having is with my Scitex XL1500. I have good density, good colour and good ink coverage. Now when I rip the same file over in GMG. It is like the heads are spraying ink down differently. Lacking density and coverage. I have built a good profile as checked by GMG tech. I have increased the ink saturation to max on GMG (400% i think without looking at it) with no difference in laydown.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with switching over rips. Am I just missing something? I have been going back and forth with GMG for a while now on this issue with no clear answer. And they even rebuilt my PMM with no change.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AG Event Graphics

too add a note.

During linearization and colour space the ink laydown is good. has depth and good ink lay down. it is just after the profile is complete and you rip a file does it become weird.

AG Event Graphics

How would i check the rendering intent? I am fairly new to this field of work. only a year under my belt. and GMG techs cant even figure out the issue.

AF

I don't know where you will find it in your rip software, but rendering intent is typically located in the job editor's color management window. You would want to match the intent in Onyx to that of GBG to evaluate the output. Input profile selections can also be at work here. Same with embedded profiles, one rip may be using embedded and one may not be. Get everything normalized and then evaluate the print again.

Screen type could possibly be an issue, some rips have proprietary stochastic screens that may change the look of the print slightly.

Which GMG product are you using?

We use GMG Color Proof and Proof Control here to power a couple of Epson 9900's

To me it sounds like your MX3 file isn't built correctly. In Color Proof the MX3 file is basically your printer calibration. And then you create MX4 files which are your different output profiles for the different medias you are running. What type of spectro device are you using to set up your color?

AG Event Graphics

Production Suite 2.1.5 (build 8273)
RIP 2.1.6 (build 8300)

Am I just assuming that the MX3 files are bad builds? or is there a possible way to check this?

I think you would need to try building it from scratch again. At the time we installed our GMG (2006) there was a process to go through that they had a help guide on. We had bought our GMG at that time from Fuji and they had sent a tech here to help. In 2010 we replaced our printers with two new Epson 9900's and I had to reset up the color. The Epson's have an onboard spectro and GMG then had a wizard base software that I used to re-create everything. At the time they had a starter kit file for the Epson that we started with to do the printer calibration. If I'm remembering correctly, you would first set up your print mode and media type. Then you would print a test image and check for over inking and set your ink limits. Then there was a full gamut file you would build. At that time we would build that by reading in an ECI Random target into our DTP 70.

Not sure about their wide format software -- but if it is like this then if there were any problems during these steps your end result may not be what you expect.

I can tell you that GMG is awesome at color. We have two Epson 9900's matching each other with about 20 different proof profiles set up for each (we are an offset printing company that uses them for proofing jobs on different stocks). After putting in the GMG our color DOES NOT drift, it is stable. The only time we have ever had an issue since 2006 was when the computer running the software died, which wasn't the fault of GMG. Bought new computer and reinstalled software and profiles off of backup and we were going again very quickly.

AG Event Graphics

The colour from GMG is great. That is not the issue though. Just the saturation on the solvent xl1500. Not sure why I cant get ink laydown like I can with Onyx. I have rebuilt the profile from scratch 3 times. Had GMG tech build me one. And a tech did come in to set it up and do a quick tutorial for me. Every profile for the printer ends up with the same result. So I am not sure if it is GMG causing it or if there is something missing between the comunication of the printer and GMG.

I am still confused on this but trying to work on it between running jobs with a GMG tech.

I will keep posting results.

Any other ideas would be a great help

Hotspur

Seen before?

Hi

Yes I have a customer with this on a Scitex But a different model and also a Durst.

it seems that when they recently left the proofing market to have a crack at the production market with the Production Suite rip they welded their very good color server to another companies rip (Aurelon I think) to create Production Suite - I think they bought the company in the end.

The problem seems to be with the Aurelon drivers for the bigger production printers - they are not a traditional GMG product and seem to have some issues.

Like you they tried everything and in the end used Onyx for the rip and drivers but GMG Color Server added to it to control the color - seemed to be the only way to get the results they wanted as the Production Suite rip wasn't a good rip for production printers.

Good luck anyway hopefully your issue is caused by something you can fix.