• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx vs. Flexi - what the hell?

MikePro

Been running Onyx ProductionHouse for past 5 years and after upgrading from 6x to 7x, suddenly everything goes haywire. Color profiles don't carry over, leaving me unable to replicate existing prints AND my Magenta seems to be overspraying/bleeding much like a misalignment, but fluctuates in pattern like a static overspray.

Ran same files with ily-Flexi software and colors print great! Xept Flexi sucks with gradients and I wish to get back on the Onyx train asap. Just downloaded my x10 upgrade, as well, so I'll be installing that today.

Anywhere I should be looking to correct the problem? Othewise I'm just planning on starting from scratch, re-profiling in Onyx, and seeing where it takes me.
Issues already addressed include static, 3rd party inks, and print heads.
(Switched back to OEM, adjusted printing environment, and installed 2 new print heads recently)

signswi

We didn't notice much of a profile difference from 6 to 7 but I do highly recommend reprofiling everything whenever you have a major RIP software revision upgrade. Start from the OEM profiles, clone them and then edit the clones with your specific ink limits, color calibrations, etc. (and if you're fancy, set your media comp feed and heat levels--this saves so much time). One afternoon and you can take care of the majority of your "regular" substrates and it pays dividends down the road when things just work, instead of having to color correct every single bloody job by hand because you never took the time up front.

No clue why you'd be seeing an overspray issue difference between Flexi and Onyx, someone else will have to chime in there. I can't really think of a way that the RIP could be affecting that unless your Onyx profiles are trying to lay down an absurd amount of ink or something like that. No clue.