• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ooma anyone?

GypsyGraphics

Wondering if anyone here uses Ooma for you phone service. Got a call yesterday from my brother, who just made the switch from VoicePulse and so far he's very happy. However, he's only had it for two months. I too have VoicePulse and am not thrilled with the service, sound quality and defiantly not liking their new voice mail service. However the price is outstanding at $15 bucks a month.

I'm thinking i'll give Ooma a try, since the box can be purchased at Costco for $150. Figure i can try it out before porting my current phone number and if i'm not happy with it, i can just take it back. My brother tells me after the initial investment of $150, the his monthly bill is for taxes only, about $3 a month, for unlimited calling. That's it... forever... just monthly taxes.

It took me a several months before i realized VoicePulse was an okay choice, but not the best. So, i'm hoping someone here has or knows about Ooma well enough to give their opinion, good or bad.

thanks -gg

Sparky

I have been on Ooma service for almost a year now. I split the line with the business next door and have a "scout" using the premium service ($99/year) to handle his separate number.

I have never had an issue with the service and would recommend it highly. The only catch I have found is faxing. I don't fax anything, but neighbor does and he is OK with one page faxes, but multiple pages cause issues, I guess. There is a trick, *99 I think to get the fax to go through better. I also ran the Ooma box before the cable modem as it was not handling the setup per the instructions well. Nothing bad though, just a comment on the install.

Like I said, I would highly recommend it. I am not sure what your brother is paying taxes on, since it doesn't use anything but the internet you are paying for. I haven't paid anything besides the initial cost and the $99/year premium membership...

GypsyGraphics

Sparky, this is GREAT... didn't think i'd hear from anyone who'd had it for a year! And very pleased to hear "nothing bad" to report in that time!

Can I ask, did you start out right off the bat with the "Ooma Premier" or did you have the basic service and find it was adequate? I notice one feature that interests me missing from the basic service and that's the bluetooth capability. I'd really like to be able just use my bluetooth headset to answer my cell and office line. There are times when i have the "old school headset on one ear and my bluetooth on the other... it seems ridiculous in this day and age. Although, I'm guessing that doesn't solve the problem of needing to move from the office to the shop and stay a bluetooth call that is paired though the phone base rather than the handset that can be carried around.

I suppose that's a whole other issue that maybe can't be solved with the phone service provider I choose. To date I haven't found a land-line type cordless phone, bluetooth paired to the mobile handset rather than the desktop base.

hmmm, kinda hijacking my own thread with that topic.

Sparky

I started with the premium service because I needed the two lines. The newer base station has the bluetooth, I don't have that so I can't answer your hijack!

I like the multi-ring - rings in office and on cell, so I never miss a call. That was another premium feature I think.

The only other thing I can think of is that every once in a while the numbers will be switched on caller ID, so I will have my neighbors call me expecting the other guy. That has happened 4 times in the last year, so not a big deal, but something I thought of.

One other thing, again - I haven't had any issues with, but calling Canadia requires a prepaid account with ooma. Not even sure of the rates. Don't call the northerners.

Don't miss the phone bill!

SignCop101

OOma

been using it for over a year and I LOVE it......compatabile with alarm systems as well ,,,,where the majic jack and others are not, great voice quality on both ends, no clicking or digitizing, all of my family has converted to OOMA and will never use anything else, paid $249 @ Radio Shack when i got it, base station w/ hub.......wont be disappointed at all!!!!!!!!!!

GypsyGraphics

Thanks Sparky & SignCop! After reading your posts, I checked out Ooma reviews on Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to find, one five star review after another. In fact, I was hard pressed to find anything negative! Almost sounds too good to be true.

I was mistaken about the price though, it was $199 at Costco not $150. They had an online offer that looked like a great deal too, $250 with a lot of extras including the blue tooth option (expires in a few days).

I'll be hooking it up tonight, hopefully by my next post I'll be another Ooma fan!

Last edited: