Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opaque coating for backlit channel letter

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by GVP, Mar 12, 2014.

1. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Hello,

We have been given by the customer, an acrylic faced channel letter with a wide plastic trimcap return, to replace a broken letter on a customers sign. The new letter has just red acrylic for the face, but the old ones have a black coating of some discription making the red acrylic opaque. This is because they are back-lit by neon (i.e. halo effect) I guess the black coating is to stop the hot spots showing through the faces.

My question is, since the replacement letter doesn't have this black coating, what can I use to have the same effect - some kind of paint? I can't imagine vinyl would work?

Any advice appreciated.

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    maybe its 3m blockout vinyl (comes both white adhesive/black face and black adhesive/white face) most likely white adhesive side as to not alter the look of the red acrylic

3. DesireeM

DesireeM Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    We've used Avery opaque black vinyl on a backlit acrylic sign face as the background and cut out the text so that the only part that lit up was the cutout section and the black vinyl blocked the light completely. There was no wash-out effect at all. Though I'm sure black paint would do the same thing.

Here's a photo of the sign lit up. You can't see the black background but I guess that's the point.

Attached Files:

4. Moze

Moze Precision Sign Services

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    This ^

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    since the letter is already trim-capped, you're gonna have a heck of a time applying vinyl and covering-up every nook/cranny of the letter inside the pan of that letter. paint it
    white/lightgrey acrylic primer and black acrylic polyurethane paint. Needs the primer, because acrylic is like glass... paint doesn't want to bond so easily, but the primer will give it some tooth. easily purchased from a hardware store.