Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening CMYK and RGB files in flexi

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by CalamityJay, Mar 17, 2014.

1. CalamityJay

CalamityJay Member

Jul 13, 2012
    When I open a CYMK file, the colors are absolutely screaming on the screen.

When I open a RGB file, the colors are dull and muted and look muddy.

Is this a known issue with flexi?
    Using soft proof is a joke in this software. When I turn it on, all the color swatches turn black along with the image.

Are the CMYK and RGB files swapped when viewing on screen?

What am I doing wrong?

SAI i am confused daily with my skills creating graphics.

End Rant.

2. jcskikus

jcskikus Owner, Designer & Installer

Jun 28, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    Similar Problem

I had a job recently from a client who supplied me with PDF files from Illustrator set in CMYK. The problem was when I opened them all in Flexi, the colors shifted from a CMYK to all RGB. I've have minor shifts in color from Flexi is CMYK values but never a total change in schemes. Of course I didn't notice this right away and printed the entire job (on reflective) which was over a $2,000 order.

Frustrated isn't the word.

3. Kwiksigns

Kwiksigns wookie

Feb 17, 2009
    Beltsville, MD
    buy a screen calibrator. huey makes one. When I hit soft proof, my colors come out almost exact to what is on my screen..... sooo... no. this is not a known problem, but user error.

4. Ponto

Ponto Active Member

Nov 24, 2008
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Flexi,..........once again I feel your pain..............I have the exact opposite issue with CMYK / RGB files..........I wonder if the "good" people at SAI would respond with a definitive work around?

What are your color setting under the Tools tab?

JP

5. Snydo

Snydo Active Member

May 1, 2008
    Mid Michigan
    removed.

6. I have this problem when I design a business card in Photoshop and then import it into Flexi for my proof template. I always just screen shot cmyk photoshop stuff and then import it for my proofs because I don't know the answer either.

7. jc_0125

jc_0125 Graphic Designer

Oct 5, 2017
    New York
    bringing this thread back to life. anyone come across a solution to this issue?

8. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    The issues experience above are almost certainly due to mismatched color spaces. If you open an RGB file in CMYK mode it will always mute the colors because it's trying to convert colors that only exist in the RGB space to the CMYK space.

9. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Has Flexi still not fixed this? This is one of the many reasons we moved to Illustrator years ago.