• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion about a food truck.

I'm designing a wrap for a food truck but the owner specifically does not want to identify the food he's offering anywhere on the truck except for a changeable menu board and the name of the truck doesn't identify the food either.

I'm not saying he's wrong but most of the food trucks that I've seen the cuisine is usually pretty identifiable by either the name or the design of the wrap.

I've never had the pleasure of designing a wrap for a food truck, just curious if this is smart or if the guy is shooting himself in the foot.

Thanks,
Chris

JgS

I've don't a few food trucks like that. with the menu boards it doesn't really need to be on the truck.

Desert_Signs

Depending on location of the truck at the time, it might not matter.

IE, pulling up to a construction site where he's the only truck? No one cares what kind of food it is, they're just hungry.

Parked at an event with 10 other food trucks? People will look for the food they like. If they don't know what he's serving, they won't even look.

At least that's my non-professional opinion.

That's almost exactly what I told the guy.

I've done some looking online and I'd say the vast majority of trucks identify their offerings somehow. He wanted my opinion and he didn't like my answer. I told him I'd ask some other professionals.

He's planning on being mostly at food truck rodeos. He wants to have some flexibility as far as what he's offering. Maybe one day he's offering burgers and hot dogs and the next he's got bbq. That approach would probably work fairly well if he's going to construction sites, etc... However I think that'll muddy his image and branding if his main focus is food truck rodeos.

The really successful trucks around here tend to have just a few offerings but they do them exceptionally well. Who knows maybe he's a genius. His food, if it's good, we'll get him more business than my wrap ever will.

At the end of the day it's his decision.

~Chris

Desert_Signs

That's almost exactly what I told the guy.

I've done some looking online and I'd say the vast majority of trucks identify their offerings somehow. He wanted my opinion and he didn't like my answer. I told him I'd ask some other professionals.

He's planning on being mostly at food truck rodeos. He wants to have some flexibility as far as what he's offering. Maybe one day he's offering burgers and hot dogs and the next he's got bbq. That approach would probably work fairly well if he's going to construction sites, etc... However I think that'll muddy his image and branding if his main focus is food truck rodeos.

The really successful trucks around here tend to have just a few offerings but they do them exceptionally well. Who knows maybe he's a genius. His food, if it's good, we'll get him more business than my wrap ever will.

At the end of the day it's his decision.

~Chris

I bet he's never done this kind of thing before.

phototec

I think he is missing a BIG opportunity to get more bang for his buck, if he is paying for a full wrap and NOT just vinyl text on the side of the truck, he should feature LARGE nice photos of the food items he plans on selling. The best and cheapest advertising he will find.

Again, the full wrap costs the same with or with out the food images.

Now, if the problem is that he is unsure of what food items he will be selling, and or the menu will be changing, I would suggest to him that the food images be separate and applied to the completed wrap, so they could=d be changed out if he decides to change the food items...

This could help you in the future, printing, laminating and installing the NEW food item graphics....

However, I have seen many generic food truck wraps that don't show any food products.

:thumb:

Attachments

• RTown_Driver-Side.jpg
    RTown_Driver-Side.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 69
  • food-truck-grilled-cheese.jpg
    food-truck-grilled-cheese.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 70
  • FoodTruckWrapDriver.jpg
    FoodTruckWrapDriver.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 72

knucklehead

If he wants to be 'that' generic, how bout a solid white wrap, that says FOOD? Kinda like the generic beer you used to see that said, BEER.

phototec

If he wants to be 'that' generic, how bout a solid white wrap, that says FOOD? Kinda like the generic beer you used to see that said, BEER.

Or better yet, a beer truck with a nice graphic showing the product like below:

Attachments

• Beer_Fridge_Wraps_ad.jpg
    Beer_Fridge_Wraps_ad.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 75

Marlene

did he give a reason why? what kind of food truck is this? if you can't use food images, you can tell a story with fonts and colors. if he is some healthy wrap and stuff like that, greens and browns, junk food like burgers and such, reds and yellows but it won't be easy. when you get something post it and ask if we can tell what they sell by the look as that might be helpful to your design

rjssigns

Do a bright wrap to attract attention. Then rivet some J-channel on both sides of the vend window(one open side) to hold coro signs with various food items. When he gets on site he can decide what panel(s) to slide in.

J Hill Designs

I don't really have much experience with this but I own a 1992 Ford Explorer and I love it It's kind of a truck! lol I'm more on the Ford side. I would absolutely LOVE to own a like 2008 F-350 Super Duty or something (Not sure on the year) Chevy, Toyota, and Dodge make some great trucks though. I'm just more familiar with Ford.

well ok then! by all means, get yerself a damn truck!

vid

Do a bright wrap to attract attention. Then rivet some J-channel on both sides of the vend window(one open side) to hold coro signs with various food items. When he gets on site he can decide what panel(s) to slide in.

+1

We had a customer a number of years ago that followed that theme. It wasn't a wrap, but lots of cut vinyl to brand a food trailer as Sandy's Catering. On site, she set up large frames made of electrical pipe to suspend a variety of 1' x 10' banners with different food offerings on either side and/or above the service window. We made up a couple of smaller menu boards with dry erase so that she could change pricing based on the venue or add specials and additional items. Same too with a dry erase A-frame. ...she had nice handwriting so it worked alright for presentation.

At that time, she only worked specific events --- small fairs, car shows, festivals. Northern California has a lot of quirky events where fried asparagus might work in in one place, and roasted almonds works some place else.

We'd see her every few months for a new banner or two.

It sounds kind of cheesy, but it worked for the way she ran and her business.

scrip

food-truck trends these days is that they are basically becoming mobile restaurants
or catering service some of them very high end.
google Toronto food-trucks / New-York food trucks and see the trends
good luck!

nikdoobs

I don't think it's a terrible idea. As long as they know its a food truck it will force people to walk up to the truck to see what they have to offer and make a face to face contact with the food truck operator.

knucklehead

Print some food stuffs on Phototex, and just remove/replace for whatever they're serving that day. Will work for the menu boards too.

MikePro

google "Jack in the Box" Truck for some inspiration.
...has nothing to do with food, and is simply AWESOME!

nikdoobs

google "Jack in the Box" Truck for some inspiration.
...has nothing to do with food, and is simply AWESOME!

But how will people from across the street know if they serve Ultimate Quadruple Stacked Sourdough Cheesesteak Bacon Mushroom Melts if its not on the side of the wrap?

mzueger

I always push the photos.. food pics sell food. Here is a food truck I did a few weeks ago.
Maybe you can talk to them about featuring their main menu foods that they will always sell. Just keep in mind that some people want to go overboard with the food. The waffle wagon pictured here was originally just waffles.. then they added eggs, then bacon, then wings.. I had to stop them there, it was just too much to show.. hope this helps.

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 7.38.44 PM.jpg

Jwalk

The food wraps kinda look a little tacky, they do get their point across in a loud way. With out plastering food all over the truck I guess the design elements have to be that much more appealing to attract customers!