• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion on Heat Press

Tim Aucoin

I'm looking at picking up this heat press... I can get the 16 x 20 for around $1200 new from a local supplier. This seems like a decent price and is within my $2000 budget I've allocated. Leaves room to buy some media!

http://www.stahls.ca/heat-press/auto-clam

Wondering if there are any opinions on this particular model/style. I've done a bunch of research and it looks like a decent press... but since I've never owned a heat press before I thought I'd throw it out to those who have!

I'm adding one-off and short run T-Shirts to my list of offerings to my walk-in customers and to my web store front. I've seen some very nice medias that work great on the Latex printer as well as simple cut, weed & press products. I'm sure the heat press will also allow me to do even more than shirts... It will be a nice addition to the "family"!

Appreciate any feedback/opinions! :notworthy:

Farmboy

I'd go with the fusion if you can. See if there's any shows in your area, you should be able to pick one up at a good price. Your also going to want to keep an eye out for a good hat press. Have fun :)

Tim Aucoin

I'd go with the fusion if you can. See if there's any shows in your area, you should be able to pick one up at a good price. Your also going to want to keep an eye out for a good hat press. Have fun :)

Wow.... the Fusion looks sweet... and only a few hundred bucks more. I'll be contacting my distributor tomorrow for a quote! Thanks for the tip. :rock-n-roll:

Sticky Signs

I did a lot of research on heat presses and this is what I picked up. http://www.geoknight.com/product.php?cat=multipurpose&pn=16
So far I really like it and have no complaints. One of the main selling points was that someone on here recommended it and he made a very valid point... When opening a clam press, all the heat rises into your face. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the swing away.
Still, 1200$ is a good price because the competition is about 150$ more.
http://ags.allgraphicsupplies.com/Shop/Search/NewEquipment.aspx?pcode=HP-HOTRONIX-AC-1620&ID=10

CES020

I'd recommend staying away from the clamshell style you posted. A heat press can have many other uses and getting a swing away unit rather than a clam shell might open some options for you later on.

We have the GeoKnight DK20S (16" x 20") and we paid about $1250 for it. There are shows going on all over the place and normally a call to a supplier and asking for the "show price" will get you a couple hundred off.

Mike_Koval

When choosing a heat press you need to look at brand, what types of applications you plan on doing, amount of space you have available, and most certainly budget.

First and foremost, stick with a name brand. Hotronix and Knight are the most popular in the industry. I am going to recommend Hotronix to any one considering adding a press for a number of reasons. Hotronix is the pioneer of heat press technology from over the center pressure adjustments, upper floatational platen, auto release feature, live pressure displays, etc. Service and support is second to none, reliable, premium warranties, made in the USA, affordable are some others that come to mind. I am also most familiar with these machines as well. I will say in respect to other presses, I have heard many great things on them as well and you wouldn't be making a bad choice either.

Applications: If you will be doing just basic t's...placing some text, simple logos, name drops etc on the front or back, a clam shell is the perfect option. If you will be doing primarily team wear, where placement and layout is a factor, a swing away or draw style press is recommended. This is because you will have an open area for the layout and will not be working under the heat. Swing away and draw presses are also better when pressing items other that t's...bags, pants, totes, etc.

Space in Shop: If you are very limited in space, a clam shell is best suited because it takes up the least amount of space. With swing away styles you will need additional space to the side to allow it to swing away fully.

Budget: Plan on spending at least $1000.00 to get a high quality reliable press. There are very inexpensive presses out there...I have a 15"x15" for $395, but these are aimed at the hobbyist or someone doing this for fun.

A heat press is a great addition to any sign maker with digital printers or just a cutter. The same folks you make signs are in the market for apparel as well. Whether it be a few shirts for their workers, promo items, advertising etc. Heat pressing is a great option for low quantity runs of apparel.

Those are my thoughts on a heat press. I would be happy to speak further on these as well. Feel free to call or email to discuss further or for any other questions. Thanks!!

Tim Aucoin

:thankyou:
Wow... thanks for all the info and advice guys! Huge thanks Mike for great detail in your reply... it is very much appreciated!
My decision is to go with the Hotronix Fusion. It offers a couple of very nice features I like. It's a swing-away AND the platen slides in and out. Also, the platen is very accessible underneath for draping clothing over. The price fits my budget and it will (as Mike said) allow me to grow into other areas of heat pressing!

No I just need to see if my local supplier can bring this in or if I'll have to buy direct from Stahl Canada! :rolleyes:

Tim Aucoin

New Toy Has Arrived!

Lookie at what arrived today!! :Big Laugh:Big Laugh Can't wait to try it. Got some blanks on order. Guess I need to find some good printable media to use now. My local guys here really push the Siser product. Gotta confirm if it's latex compatible... wonder if Josh has any good latex heat press printable products?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: I got a bunch of those "cute" mini shirts to do as promo's for my customers to introduce my service. Hmmm... if I keep going like I am, I may fit into those....:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Photo1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 108