• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion on Summa F1612 (or any F-Series)?

funkytone

I'm looking at purchasing an F1612. Just wanted to see what people liked/disliked about them and if there is anything that current owners found out after the purchase that they weren't happy with?

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers,

kanini

We have one and have been using it a lot for cutting vinyl, banners, soft sheets, pvc sheets etc. We haven't tried routing so I can't comment on how that works. Overall we love the machine, it is sturdily built, great precision and the feed/belt works excellent. The only negative could be that the Summa FlexCut is maybe not 100% smooth to use all the time, it also needs reeboting after half a days heavy work (could be our computer though) and has a bit of a learning curve. Overall I think it is very well worth the money and it has improved our productivity so much. Together with Onyx RIP and HP latex printers it's the best combo I've seen at the moment. My only wish now would be to get another tangential module to keep more tools installed at the same time, bit the tool change is only a minute or two so haven't yet bought the extra module. If you have any specific question I'd be happy to answer the best I can. You will not regret getting one.

Emd2kick

Check out a Colex before you commit. Same price range, but the Colex is a sturdier and tested piece of equipment. We considered both and went with the Colex, couldn’t be happier!

axelmk

I'm looking at purchasing an F1612. Just wanted to see what people liked/disliked about them and if there is anything that current owners found out after the purchase that they weren't happy with?

I did the same research a few months ago, was looking at SUMMA F series and others like Colex, iEcho, AXYZ.
After a lot of considerations, we ended up purchasing Colex and it will be installed in June. Hopefully it was the right decision.

One of the biggest reasons was the service and support when I visited their plant for a Demo. 90% of the machine is manufactured in NJ.
Owner of the company (Werner) was there all the time and all his employees had nothing but good things to say about him. When I left, he was the one that made sure I was a happy potential customer. It gave me a sense of trust and security. At the end of the day, a machine is only as good as the support behind it.

My two cents, Summa F series is a great Vinyl cutter with cutting & routing capabilities. Colex is a Router/cutter with Vinyl cutting capabilities, Makes sense? We have had a Summa S120T for 9 years and it still works perfectly as a Vinyl cutter, Great machine.

It all depends what your main application will be. Will you be doing more Vinyl cutting or more PVC, plexi, and such?
feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Axel
1to1printers

daenterpri

We bought a Summa F1612 and we love it. We've had a great relationship with Summa and being that parts are only a day away from us, that's the direction that I went. Having a flatbed cutter in the shop has changed the game. Like Kanini said, Summa FlexCut is a bit buggy, but nothing overwhelmingly frustrating. It's a good machine.

Ldireprophil

We have one and have been using it a lot for cutting vinyl, banners, soft sheets, pvc sheets etc. We haven't tried routing so I can't comment on how that works. Overall we love the machine, it is sturdily built, great precision and the feed/belt works excellent. The only negative could be that the Summa FlexCut is maybe not 100% smooth to use all the time, it also needs reeboting after half a days heavy work (could be our computer though) and has a bit of a learning curve. Overall I think it is very well worth the money and it has improved our productivity so much. Together with Onyx RIP and HP latex printers it's the best combo I've seen at the moment. My only wish now would be to get another tangential module to keep more tools installed at the same time, bit the tool change is only a minute or two so haven't yet bought the extra module. If you have any specific question I'd be happy to answer the best I can. You will not regret getting one.
Did you have to get a air compressor? If so, what make and model? My F1612 will arrive in a few weeks and I was told I would need a 12.4 CFM compressor.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Did you have to get a air compressor? If so, what make and model? My F1612 will arrive in a few weeks and I was told I would need a 12.4 CFM compressor.

Congrats on your purchase! Keep us posted on the progress once you get yours installed.

I believe you will need a compressor if you're running any pneumatic tools or router. I've attached the Pre-Install guide that our supplier sent me.

Which options did you go with? I'm also in the process of looking into one of these units and curious what everyone is using.

We're looking at getting the Kress router option, Tangential, and Pneumatic oscillating tool.

Does anyone have pictures of their setups? I'd love to see how people have their space set up with the computer, vacuum, and air compressor.

Attachments

• F1612 PreInstallation.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 469

Ldireprophil

Congrats on your purchase! Keep us posted on the progress once you get yours installed.

I believe you will need a compressor if you're running any pneumatic tools or router. I've attached the Pre-Install guide that our supplier sent me.

Which options did you go with? I'm also in the process of looking into one of these units and curious what everyone is using.

We're looking at getting the Kress router option, Tangential, and Pneumatic oscillating tool.

Does anyone have pictures of their setups? I'd love to see how people have their space set up with the computer, vacuum, and air compressor.
I’ve ordered mine maxed out with all available options. I have the same Pre-Install Site Preperation Guide. When I search 12.4 cfm air compressor hundreds comes up. After already talking to my dealers install tech, he mentioned that he’s seen other setups with the F1612 using a small $100 pancake style compressor from Home Depot. I am just curious what others might be using because a 12.4+ cfm is $1000+. Don’t want overkill or the cost is really not necessary in a real working environment.

ProColorGraphics

I absolutely LOVE mine!! I have the F1612 and honestly don't see the need to go any bigger. I have pretty much every tool except the pneumatic knife and HF router. The only tool I don't care for is the single edge cutout tool, as the blades break to easily. I will grab some pics of my setup and post them. Yes, they do need air no matter what tools you go with. My shop had a large 2 stage compressor in it, so I am not sure what you could get away with.

I also restart my program, but usually only once/day, in the morning when I start. They just came out with a new program that should be nice once its totally ready to go.

jerry369

After already talking to my dealers install tech, he mentioned that he’s seen other setups with the F1612 using a small $100 pancake style compressor from Home Depot. I am just curious what others might be using because a 12.4+ cfm is $1000+. Don’t want overkill or the cost is really not necessary in a real working environment.
This is true only if you do not use the POT tool. In that case the compressor is used mainly for the conveyor. If you ordered the POT ask your dealer the minimum technical requirements for the compressor.
A small $100 pancake style compressor from Home Depot is surely not suitable for POT

bigben

I absolutely LOVE mine!! I have the F1612 and honestly don't see the need to go any bigger. I have pretty much every tool except the pneumatic knife and HF router. The only tool I don't care for is the single edge cutout tool, as the blades break to easily. I will grab some pics of my setup and post them. Yes, they do need air no matter what tools you go with. My shop had a large 2 stage compressor in it, so I am not sure what you could get away with.

I also restart my program, but usually only once/day, in the morning when I start. They just came out with a new program that should be nice once its totally ready to go.

I would love to see your setup. I'm planing to getting one also.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Why? Can you kiss cut stickers and cut the paper liner with just one module? Or need two.... :(
To switch between tools easier.

On our Echo we have 4 tangential tool holders, its nice to have multiple blade types easily accessible.

That being said I can't wait for my brother to be ready to add the summa table and opos cam cutter for a more efficient workflow and faster output.

aparat

With the new GoProduce software it is even more fun to work with it! the workflow is twice as fast in my opp...
We allso added some blickle wheels, because the shop is small and we need to move the machine time to time.. (allso the pump is on rollers).

Attachments

• IMG_7326.JPG
    IMG_7326.JPG
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 710

White Haus

Not a Newbie
With the new GoProduce software it is even more fun to work with it! the workflow is twice as fast in my opp...
We allso added some blickle wheels, because the shop is small and we need to move the machine time to time.. (allso the pump is on rollers).

Love this! Our shop is also smaller and my biggest concern is compromising our workflow and space by adding one of these units. Does it require much work to re-level the unit after you've moved it around?
Do you drop it down onto the "feet" or do you just leave it with the wheels down? Our Oce flatbed has these but I've never moved it in fear of it not being level after.

Do you have the specs on the wheels you bought? Did Summa or the tech have any concerns about using these?

Thank you!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I would love to see your setup. I'm planing to getting one also.

Have you seen one in person yet Ben? I'm thinking of going to check one out at ND in Toronto this summer. Are you going through them? Maybe we could get a two for one deal...... lol. :D

ProColorGraphics

Why? Can you kiss cut stickers and cut the paper liner with just one module? Or need two.... :(
So if you have a job that uses 2 different tools, there is no waiting then. Otherwise, you will be constantly changing tools back and forth. I have one job for example that uses several rolls of vinyl for small labels. It cuts them out with the kiss cut knife, then cuts them into groups with the cut out knife.

ProColorGraphics

Quite the mess right now, but after 2.5 years in my new location and a year of having the SummaF, I am finally starting to clean and organize. haha.

Also, a second shop vac next to it is VERY handy for cleaning of the belt, dust and chips that fly around from the router.