• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

opinions if you please

fmg

Just playing with some A&S fonts for a design. Want it simple and to the point.Your critique will be appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• etls.jpg
    etls.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 82

SignManiac

The green tree on top of the name is distracting. And breaks up the legibility of the name. My brain reads it as EAS ON at first.

visual800

those 2 fonts are not working together. That top font is not very well readable and not a very good font IMO. Its top heavy, maybe try finding a happy medium to where you dont have to struggle to read easton and struggle to read subcopy. when using script I usually make it a little longer than to top copy so it balances out and doesnt get lost.

Attachments

• easton.jpg
    easton.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

fmg

those 2 fonts are not working together. That top font is not very well readable and not a very good font IMO. Its top heavy, maybe try finding a happy medium to where you dont have to struggle to read easton and struggle to read subcopy. when using script I usually make it a little longer than to top copy so it balances out and doesnt get lost.
Nice. I like the lower case and the typeface my only concern is having the branches in the tree. I agree with the sub copy making it stronger.
Thanks for the input!

SignManiac

You have to be careful with the A&S fonts. As much as I love using them, they are not guaranteed to work with every design. You have to know where and when to use them in your design work. But then again, that's true with each and every font.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I no longer have the book [someone took it years ago], but there was an excellent book explaining fonts and how to legibly use them. If anyone knows the name, it would be a huge advantage in anyone's library. It's up there with Mike Steven's stuff.

It provided examples of which fonts work with what kind of businesses and how to mix and match fonts within a single display.
It also showed how and why certain fonts worked in one display and not another. It put fonts into I think 5 or 6 categories and if you read the book over and over..... so much of it made sense back when it was written throughout til today with all the many more fonts and impostors available. The book explained what type styles were originally designed for and how to use them effectively. It wasn't so much a pick what i like kinda deal, as much as what styles got your point across o the masses.

It would do a lot of good for many of you designers to read up on types styles, fonts and their usage.