• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions please

DizzyMarkus

Howdy forum members,
I have introduced myself and read till my eyes bled :0) -- great site and such great information. I am currently at a crossroads where my employment (carpenter) is going to be closing their doors. I however have an oppertunity to open up over my current shop and have use of all the equipment we have for zero dollors for 1 year. Equipment being ladders, saws, picks, scaffolding etc and a van with plenty of room.
I right now from experience point of view have pal'ed aroundand helped with a guy that has 12 years experience and have myself do "cut only" doing many types of objects (kind like cut only, its rewarding) from 3 years or so. From model airplanes and yard signs to full car and truck lettering. I am currently going through a horrific deal on ebay (should have known better) with a HP Designjet 5500PS-- I asked the seller if it contour cut or if they used a seperate amchine-- his response was "it has a cutter and it complete" leading me to believe it was what I was looking for-I ofcourse found out different here thanks to the forums help and refused shipment filing a dispute.Hopefully it will work out -- they seller is giving me a hard time and he is the one misrepresenting the machine. Arrrg

So if you were in my spot, had $6000 to spend and wanted solvent based what printer would you be looking to buy. Used is fine --I need to start somewhere. Sorry its so long winded.

Thanks for the valued advice given,
Markus

mikefine

Hey, Dizzy: Good luck with the new venture. I commented on a thread over this past weekend about the cost of start-up digital printing. Here is the short -- have you considered the cost for inventory: inks, vinyl, banner rolls and lamination? That will be more than what you are budgeted for your machine.

DizzyMarkus

I have $2500 budgeted for start up inventory. I have also aquired smaller things I would need like banner dies and grommets, 32" cold laminator and have use of a 42" Have some rolls of most common colors (roygbiv)and various other small items over last few years. I dont need to start large or take the town by storm. I will be part time to start and carpenter part time. We are a town of 10,000 and 1 other sign shop that everyone complains about hehe. I actually enjoy and find it rewarding -- atleast the stuff I have been doing ;0) I am going to kind of be like the guy starting in his garage only I got a nice place to start thats cheap. I understand some dont want new people involved or without years of experience. Im just tying to make a better life for my kid and I :0) This whole ebay experience is horrific to say the least(lesson learned) and thats whyI am asking here now. It may not be the best plan but, its what I got :thankyou:

thank you greatly for your response,

Markus

PS and determination lol

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!

Get a plotter and software first. Printing on down the road.....

DizzyMarkus

Howdy Red Ball -- thank you for your response

I currently have a 24" plotter only I have been doing cut only for a little over three years -- multiple layers etc. Im am fairly comfortable with cutting only so far. Sorry if I didnt mention that.

Thank you,
Markus

CheapVehicleWrap

Do not consider the rolls of vinyl from the past few years as part of inventory. In other words, do not use them for paying jobs because of their age. You may also want to buy inventory as you need it while keeping that cash on hand. Materials have a way of aging faster than time itself when you first start because you'll have more type of materials than jobs coming in.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you CheapVehicleWrap. I have been cutting only for a few years and currently do enough to keep all stock rotated. ROF I cut stuff just to cut. I also do remote aiplanes and helicopters, slot cars, RC cars etc. trucks etc. I would like to keep back up ink and common cast on hand -- the substrates I can order -- Fellers is real quick for me -- overnight. I appreciate the "cash on hand" as I only wanted to stock common stuff for the time being.

thank you fellas,
Markus

DizzyMarkus

Good morning folks,

I super appreciate all the info,support, and politeness of everyones responses :0)

Noone has recommended a machine in the $6000- $6500 range that might serve me well to start with

:thankyou:

Markus

SignManiac

See if you can pick up a 30" print and cut Roland machine to get started with. You can find a good used one in that price range and if you need larger prints, outsource those. The 30" machine although small, will get you by for 80% of the work that will come your way. Yeah it's nice to have a 54" machine but you gotta do what you gotta do to get your feet wet.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you for the info -- it would seem thats all the machine I can get at this point. No more Ebay for me on purchases like that :0)

Markus

HulkSmash

Don't buy small.. many make that mistake, and grow out of it faster then they thought..
Prowraps has 2 good mutohs for sale 62"

DizzyMarkus

Howdy,

I'll have to give them a ring-- problem is I think I need a print cut machine to start -- if my older 24" goes down Im in trouble lol I have fully prepared to sit back and save somemore for a larger machine. Right now the market is empty in my area and Im trying to put together 3 months into 1 :0)

Kitty currently sitting @ 5200

Markus

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Dont forget you are also going to need a RIP for printing. Some printers come with a somewhat limited RIP but it will get the job done as long as it does include one. A full blown top line RIP like FlexiSign Pro, Onyx, etc retail for around $4000 by themselves.

DizzyMarkus

Yes Sir(Maam) currently using flexi 8.6-- I got it a few years back when I got the cutter-- it was full version then and I almost choked hehe

The print part will be interesting :0) Faily mechanicly inclinded so hopefully it will be smooth :0)

Thank you greatly for theheads up,
Markus

wedosigns

Welcome from Calgary:Canada 2:
Go with a 54" print/cut from roland. You should have no problem getting an used cj or sc500 for what you have.
They are great workhorses and way cheaper to fix. Although they are slow as hell you can do great full color signage and wraps, while learning all the color issues such as color profiles, ect.
Good luck.

jmb474

In a town of 10,000 and just starting out, why do you feel you need a printer? Are you getting so many jobs coming in the door that you have to have one right now? Not only do you have to have the printer, but you need to make sure it comes with rip software. If it doesn't it can sink you in another $2000. Then a laminator. Which will drop you several grand more. Then the rolls of material that will cost you even more.

When starting out, it's usually best to find a good wholesale printer. Get yourself set in the market. You will find a 30" machine will be small if your making signs. Only thing we really ever run on 30" material is posters or small decals. If you wholesale, you can save up some more money and get a aching that has a size more adequate to doing signs.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you greatly for the responses:

wedosigns -- that is actually the machine I want is a 54" -- the next closest guy is a 20 min ride and he has a 48" machine so I could offer stuff he cannot. I suue I am having after the ebay debacle lol is find a place that has these used machines. I seem to be drawing a blanl and have kept an eye on several classified type sites to no avail. Called Garston -- they never returned my call:0(

jmb474 -- I guess I dont really need a printer but lately I have been doing Menu type signs that hang in front of like a sandwich line etc. 20 x 30. I do however expect to be aggressive and try to go out selling window displays. I would like to get some to do a weekly or monthly for changing their specials.Book of themonth type thing. I wont just sit back and let it come to me :0) My other thought is I only at this time have a 24" cutter. Kind of limiting yet not hehe Felt wierd to open with a single 24" cutter but I may have to hehe

All the insights and opinions given are awsome and cant thank the experienced guys enough.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The customer does not have to know what physical equipment you have or do not have at your shop, it'll be a while before you have the chunk of change you really need to buy everything you'll need, and enough jobs coming in to cover all of it. Find someone who will outsource to you within a 1/2 hr or so, or find a member here who will ship for your printed pieces. Sell the jobs, then send the file and pick up the printed piece.

Inventory will kill your funds quick if you try to do it now. In our current (small 2 person) shop here we have: 50+ 15" rolls of colored vinyl, 50+ rolls of 24/30" colored vinyl, 20+ rolls of 48/54/62" printable vinyl/banner/media, 10+ 48/54" rolls of laminate... and ordering more media almost everyday!

DizzyMarkus

Hiya jfiscus,

Thank you -- I am starting to see the light lol -- I just wanted to jump in so fast, before someone else did :0) After the ebay fiasco I have slowed my thought way down. I have a few years experience cut only on the next guy that might want to open. Mainly people ask why I havent dont this before now, am well known the the carpentery business local (25 years) and not a out drunk all day person lol I actually enjoy the cut only so I bet I'll eventually love the print side :thankyou:

Thanks for the insight

Markus