• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Opinions wanted........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good or bad, we want your opinions.

Trying to get the kids in off the streets to stop fighting and bickering, I thought I'd try MY luck at a topic or two.

Seriously, without getting into the global warming arguments or how important is recycling vs. what good books have you read recently or any good movies.... or having a contest or a poll, let's talk about:

Who made the biggest or most lasting impression on your life ??
Unlike the other thread, let's not force the flow of the conversation.

After that light conversation, we can discuss, what's a body part you wouldn't mind missing..... and I ain't talking a fingernail or strand of hair.

edit: fat fingers

Last edited:

equippaint

Aside from my parents/family I had a neighbor growing up that I asked to help teach me how to cut yards when I was around 12. He was a great mentor and helped me along up until I moved away to college. He was a hardas* but it was what I needed. He'd bring me out on his route with him and his brother, there was no sugar coating anything and was treated just as the adults were. He drilled "no excuses" into me and taught me how everything in your life that happens is your responsibility. I still talk to him today and remember him being the one person that I never wanted to disappoint. He was there when my kids were born too. Before I moved to go to school I asked him what I could do to repay him and he told me to find a kid like myself that needs a little guidance and take them under your wing. There's not too many people around like him.
My wife did big brothers big sisters and mentored a girl starting at around 12 that came from a pretty rough area. She's in college now and deep down I know that she changed her life.

Stacey K

I like making signs
My Dad. He's the hardest worker I ever met and he never gave up on anything. He can fix just about anything, he has a contact person for everything, he talks to anyone no matter who they are or what they look like. He hates excuses and expects more from me than I can do. He expects perfection and makes notes for everything, don't think he ever forgot to do ANYTHING on his "to do" list. He repeats himself until he drills things into your brain. He's 71 now and slowed down and can't fix everything or work like a horse anymore but he has no problem telling me what to do. He still uses bleach to clean the rocks in his garden when he gets them and still vacuums the grass if there's gravel on it. He drives me insane with his work ethic but if he didn't I would probably be a slacker.
Stacey: "But Dad, I'm tired, I worked 90 hours this week and it's only Friday"
Dad: "Stop your whining and get back to work. Nobody every got ahead working 40 hours a week"

If you're looking for a famous person to inspire me, I don't know any :)

You can cut my right foot off, I can get my Dad to make me a fake one...LOL

rjssigns

Biggest and most lasting impression would be my dad. Taught me all kinds of things while standing over me yelling; "Now that's not the way I showed you is it?" Never forget the day he came home from work and said: "I work on pipes all day I'm not gonna do it in my own house." Then he pointed at me and said : You, come with me! And so began my education in stuff he thought guys should know how to do.
Plumbing, electrical, framing, roofing, auto repair, bodywork and paint the list goes on.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My gut tells me to say that Jesus has left the biggest impression on my life, but then I thought no.. that's too cliche and will make me look like I'm boasting or pushing religion. So I thought and came up with a few people that have made some impact-full impression but none that I would feel so passionately about taking the title of "most lasting impression". Many of those people left me with good advise, a path to follow and good direction in life...but not as much as you know who.

Before I got into the word, I didn't realize how aimless and naive I was in life. Looking back on it, you really are "born again" when get into the word. Following Jesus's life in the Bible has left the most impression on my life, and for the good. I could go on and on at the wisdom he has available to me any everyone, but I wouldn't be the first to go down that road.... Hopefully not the last.

I'm going to try out the one post rule on myself with this topic and see how that goes. ;)

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
My Kids.
Before them, I was a 31 year old single man, liked to party, held jobs just to get some money to do things I want, lived with parents all but 5 years of my 31, and played way too many video games.

Now, I dont have time or money for any of that. Yay, responsibility.

unclebun

My answer would be the same as Texas_Signmaker's, but if I limit it to ONLY-humans, not God, it would have to be my father. The great respect I have for him and his example have genuinely shaped me. There have been other people who had some impact on me, but none as profoundly as my father.

Kottwitz-Graphics

My brother. He kept me from experimenting with drugs.

Long story short, he was busted with his own stash when coming to visit. I overheard my dad tell my mom that he had to put the house up to get him out of jail, and when your 8 or 9 years old, you don't understand just what that meant. So for years, I thought we could be homeless at any minute because of my brothers drug habit (weed).

I made a promise to myself that I would never put that pressure on my parents.

People don't believe me when I say I have never even tried to smoke weed, and I'm 47 years old...