• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions welcomed.

Dave Drane

With all the chat about what defines good "sign" design and what doesn't I would like some feedback on this sign. Sometimes, because I work alone and noboby here to bounce ideas off l feel, maybe I am getting out of whack a bit. A guy rang and I had to meet him onsite to discuss what he needed. It is a retirement village that had lots of trees and a bubbling stream running through it. I tried to talk him into a sophiticated design but he insisted that it be bright and stand out from the road. This is what I came up with and he was very happy, but I still feel it is not the scheme to draw retirees in.
I know that I have not been too friendly lately towards digital printers and special affects so I am expecting to get my *** kicked here, but I am a big ol'e boy and I promise I will take whatever gets thrown at me!! lol.

Attachments

• SN157740.jpg
    SN157740.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 90

Baz

Yeah that's my beef also .. Black on orange ... Would have looked better in white and also if it was bigger within that panel. Especially when hearing a comment that the customer wants it to stand out from the road.

As far as style for the retirement crowd. I think your style is just fine for the over 50. It doesn't look modern at all and the style has a very classic/country feel to it. Would have also looked great if you had some gradients in your picture area (the circle and waves). Easyer to do when you're printing it.

All around it is nice though.:thumb:

JKADesigns

increasing your outline on the refreshing change of life would be in order and then as they have said, switch to white for the bottom letters and make them bigger.

I would also increase the outline around the light blue, it would be more readable and help the sign to "pop" better.

You may also consider increasing OR decreasing the white around the tree, that width is just a little bit jarring.

The victorian scroll that you have put in between the Laurel Springs doesn't really go with the way that the sign flows. Pick something that doesn't have a huge hump on the top, that belongs at the top of a curved sign, not in the middle of a sign. There are a lot out there.

It's a good design all in all, you can go with it as it is, but those are the things that I can see that could be improved.

Craig Sjoquist

Very interesting colors and how you used them, also like the amount of space left open which makes a colors like this work so well. beautiful and perfect for it's viewing pleasure.

ucmj22

It doesn't look as terrible as the thumbnail! I actually like it overall, but it feels unbalanced, and a little jumbled together up top. But not bad. I wouldn't beat yourself up over this one

kylebrk

the tagline is pretty small.

the colors dont look very appealing. it looks like an old waffle house building.

it also looks like you utilized clip art.

overall, its just fine. if the customer is happy and he paid, you win. im just giving you an honest opinion.

Dave Drane

Thank you all for the replies. I did cringe when they (2 guys, but one seemed more in charge) specifically wanted orange for its brightness. I explained that it was neutral and would need either black or white outline/shade for contrast. The first design I did, the panel was higher and I used A&S Marquee and they both freaked because for some strange reason they wanted the place identified rather than selling the units?? Ariel is not a favourite of mine but their secretary told them that would be the best so I didn't argue with that and making it so small was their choice also. Baz's idea of the blend on the sun crossed my mind, but I would have sprayed Krylon orange across some yellow vinyl, but in the end I decided that the longevity of the sign was more important as it faces the morning sun full on.
All your opinions are appreciated and no offence will be taken.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
what do you guys have against dashes in your phone numbers?

having dyslexic tendencies, i'd never get that number down....