• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OPOS Calibration Issue

wikiwaugh

Hey there, new to the forum.

I have a D140SE Summa, and up until a couple weeks ago it was working fine. Read marks, etc, etc. For some unknown we couldn't get the marks to read one day, so while I was away from work a tech came in and took a look as the shop couldn't wait on me to return. Personally, tech's shouldn't touch ANYTHING if they don't know enough about the machine. Just my opinion. Anyway, he figured the sensor was buggered, so he took the current one out and put a new one in. Did an OPOS test and the contrast was reading worse than my current sensor, which reads at 1900 on black and 15 on white. So I know the sensor is fine.

My problem now is that everything is cutting off centre. Not skewed, just shifted to the right. So I've been trying to do an OPOS Calibration from the menu, you weed out the black square and then it reads the edges to determine the distance between the sensor and the blade. Every single time, instead of the sensor going over the white square to read it, it starts reading immediately to the right of it. Thus, explaining why the contour cuts are off centre.

I know Flexi is fine, because it has no problem reading marks, it's just when I do the OPOS calibration it can't determine the distance between the knife tip and the sensor.

So my questions is, any ideas? Once you weed the rectangle, you have no further options but to hit enter and start the calibration, you can't manually change the origin point so that it knows to look further to the left.

Any help would be greatly appreciate, sorry for the long explanation, but I thought I would be as thorough as possible.

Thanks,

Will.

Chimuka

It sounds like you are an experienced user so I'm kinda embarrassed to even offer this thought, but here goes anyway. By any chance , has the plastic opos sensor unit came off from the ho-ky hinge pins. If you push the sensor up does swing free and lock in the notches for the riding position when not in use? Mine has caught on vinyl and pulled out from one side and did not come all the way out.

CoCut USA

Hey there, new to the forum.

I have a D140SE Summa, and up until a couple weeks ago it was working fine. Read marks, etc, etc. For some unknown we couldn't get the marks to read one day, so while I was away from work a tech came in and took a look as the shop couldn't wait on me to return. Personally, tech's shouldn't touch ANYTHING if they don't know enough about the machine. Just my opinion. Anyway, he figured the sensor was buggered, so he took the current one out and put a new one in. Did an OPOS test and the contrast was reading worse than my current sensor, which reads at 1900 on black and 15 on white. So I know the sensor is fine.

My problem now is that everything is cutting off centre. Not skewed, just shifted to the right. So I've been trying to do an OPOS Calibration from the menu, you weed out the black square and then it reads the edges to determine the distance between the sensor and the blade. Every single time, instead of the sensor going over the white square to read it, it starts reading immediately to the right of it. Thus, explaining why the contour cuts are off centre.

I know Flexi is fine, because it has no problem reading marks, it's just when I do the OPOS calibration it can't determine the distance between the knife tip and the sensor.

So my questions is, any ideas? Once you weed the rectangle, you have no further options but to hit enter and start the calibration, you can't manually change the origin point so that it knows to look further to the left.

Any help would be greatly appreciate, sorry for the long explanation, but I thought I would be as thorough as possible.

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will,

It sound to me like the OPOS Calibration (distance between the blade and the OPOS sensor) is off so far that it goes beyond the area that OPOS scans looking for the mark.

My first guess would be that restoring the factory-default settings in Summa Cutter Control might help. But maybe flash new firmware as well, which can be downloaded at www.summa.be.

My $0.02,

Jim
CoCut USA

wakeshredder

Hi Will,

It sound to me like the OPOS Calibration (distance between the blade and the OPOS sensor) is off so far that it goes beyond the area that OPOS scans looking for the mark.

My first guess would be that restoring the factory-default settings in Summa Cutter Control might help. But maybe flash new firmware as well, which can be downloaded at www.summa.be.

My $0.02,

Jim
CoCut USA

Jim,

I have the same problem described in this thread. Can you tell me how to restore "factory-default settings" via Summa Cutter Control. I have the software, and I have even updated the firmware to no solution...

Thank you for anything you can share!

FrankW

• Start Summa Cutter Control (available from the Summa-website)
  • Be shure that software and plotter are correctly connected by clicking on "Info" - Summa Cutter Control will load configuration infos from the plotter (if not, check the interface settings)
  • Press the key combination "Shift - Control - Alt - O".

This will disable your plotters OPOS (you will get warnings, confirm them to deactivate OPOS). Reboot your plotter.

• After the plotter have rebooted, start Summa Cutter Control a second time.
  • Connect to the printer with clicking "Info" a second time.
  • Press the key combination "Shift - Control - Alt - O" a second time.

This will enable your plotters OPOS again (you will again get warnings, confirm them to activate OPOS).

If "Shift - Control - Alt - O" don't work, please reboot Summa Cutter Control while pressing the Shift-Key.

With that procedure, you reset the OPOS defaults only, not the whole plotter.

Do OPOS Calibration now. Regularly, it should measure inside the rectangle and will calibrate successful. If not, is there a problem with the mechanical position of the OPOS-Sensor.

If having problems with reading marks reliable, there is a possibility to replace the old "Red Light OPOS-Sensor" with a new "white light OPOS-Sensor" (like the new OPOS X). This should improve the reliability of reading marks significantly.

wakeshredder

FrankW

I cannot even begin to tell you how immensely grateful I am for your solution. It worked right away. I couldn't believe that I was unable to find anything close to a solution online or in a manual. You have reinforced to me the significance of forums like these. I wish I could buy you a beer and give you hug! :omg:

Thank you so much!

PS, My cutter, Summa D120SE is having an issue where the first cut (where knife touches vinyl first) is not cutting for the first 1-3cm it seems. I have read online of a "lazy solenoid" issue. I've also read things that point at a little rubber stopper that gets indented... Ultimately, I think it's some kind of lag at the beginning of the cutting cycle. Have you got any advice?

FrankW

You're welcome :) .

Which model of Summa do you use? That's a standard problem on SummaSign tangential plotters, and I'm sorry to tell you that is regularly not repairable. Earlier, Summa have revised heads with this symptom in their factory, but they don't offer that anymore. For most of the older SummaSign Models that repair will be too expensive.

wakeshredder

If having problems with reading marks reliable, there is a possibility to replace the old "Red Light OPOS-Sensor" with a new "white light OPOS-Sensor" (like the new OPOS X). This should improve the reliability of reading marks significantly.

FrankW, do you know where I can get a white light sensor for my cutter?

wakeshredder

You're welcome :) .

Which model of Summa do you use? That's a standard problem on SummaSign tangential plotters, and I'm sorry to tell you that is regularly not repairable. Earlier, Summa have revised heads with this symptom in their factory, but they don't offer that anymore. For most of the older SummaSign Models that repair will be too expensive.

Also, I meant to tell you that I fixed my "lazy solenoid" issue. It was actually the rubber bumper that had an indent in it from years of plotting. After each plot, if the head bumper would sort of stick. I added a small piece of felt and voile!