• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OPOS on SummaSign D1010 Pro?

teco

Hello!
I have recently bought an old SummaSign D1010 Pro (without SL). - very happy with it btw.
Is there any way I can fit an OPOS camera on it?
I am also looking for a service manual. Any idea where I can download it from?
Thanks,
Ionut

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Teco,

I am not sure if you are just simply referring to OPOS when you said "OPOS Camera", and if so, you can physically look at the cutting head to determine whether or not the machine has OPOS. The OPOS is mounted on the right side of the cutting head under the head cover and looks like a small lens(I tried uploading a photo but it didn't work).

If you were actually referring to adding OPOS Cam to this machine, unfortunately that is not possible. The OPOS Cam is a factory install only available on the S2T140(54") and S2T160(64") models. It cannot be added to any other models, even S2's, after the fact.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

teco

Hello!
Thank you all for your replies. I didn't know the difference between OPOS sensor and OPOS cam.
I just want something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0V6DYi3V70
I saw the sensor in the link from rotutech.com but I am not sure if it's the right thing for me. In the description they say it's for SC (I assume SummaCut) and I have SummaSign. If it works, will it be automatically recognized by the system or do I have to make some changes (update firmware or something)?
Thank you!

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Teco,

The sensor used in the video is called "OPOS-X" and is the newer version of our optical sensor. The D1010 cutter that you recently acquired may or may not have OPOS, and if it does it would be the older OPOS sensor. The difference between the two sensors is the new OPOS-X sensor uses a white light sensor to detect registration marks(the black squares in the video) versus a red light which was used on the older OPOS sensor. The new OPOS-X sensor has improved performance detecting registration marks through laminate or on materials that are glossy or have high reflectivity.

Like I mentioned in my post yesterday, you can physically look underneath the cutting heads cover to determine whether or not your D1010 has OPOS or not. If it doesn't have OPOS you can add an OPOS sensor to the machine, but it would be the older red light OPOS.

Please feel free to contact our European support team via email at support@summa.eu if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
That looks like the correct part. If Rotutech is an authorized reseller they should be able to assist with the installation of this part. From what I understand there are several steps after the part has been installed that would need to be done to make the OPOS functional. Again, I would suggest contacting an authorized reseller for assistance.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

floater302

Yes there is a few step you have to do to activate it in the machine, search it on this forum, i remember seeing the steps on here somewhere, or call summa you will have to pay i think 30 dollars but they will walk you thru it easily.

jerry369

Thank you very much for your fast reply.
I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.
Could you tell me, please, if the item in the following link is OPOS or OPOS-X?
http://www.rotutech.com/en/piezas-de-recambio/984-opos-for-d-head-ss-sc-old-to-sn-xx1111-1xxxx.html
Thank you.
Ionut

That link was an example to show you can found everything on the net. If your summa is not equipped with OPOS sensor you need an OPOS upgrade kit to be mounted on your cutter, not only the sensor, to buy the right one you need the serial number of the plotter, and the right technical knowledge to install it

Let do the job to a Summa authorized technical support, it is not so easy.

teco

Thank you, Jerry.
I contacted Summa Europe, as Mr. Phil Johnson sugested, and they were very helpful.
We talked on the phone for about half an hour.
Apparently, I can't upgrade it with an OPOS sensor, as it's an older version (not enough memory for firmware update).
But... I've already done some contour cutting without OPOS and it worked fine.
Thank you all for your kind advice and sugestions.

floater302

I think he is wrong, before i bought my new s75 summa, i used my old d750 pro that was made in 2000 and i installed the opos on it. but ive been wrong before..

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I think he is wrong, before i bought my new s75 summa, i used my old d750 pro that was made in 2000 and i installed the opos on it. but ive been wrong before..

Hi Teco,

I am guessing our European office already confirmed this, but if not, it is easy to tell whether or not you can add the OPOS by checking your firmware revision. This is located in the "system menu" on your cutter. If the latest firmware revision is "MW" then the RAM is writeable and you would be able to add OPOS. If the firmware revision is "MD" then the RAM is non-writeable and you would not be able to add the OPOS sensor. This isn't a simple yes or no question without knowing what firmware revision the cutter has. Again, I am sure this is something that our European office confirmed with you, but I thought I would post this in case any other users run into this same situation in the future.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

floater302

only reason i said he might be wrong is because a summa worker told me to it couldnt be done and then i talked to another worker and we get it done and installed,