Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optically clear cast laminate vs regular cast laminate

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Feb 22, 2019.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Just curious of the members thoughts on the difference between these two options as far as durability for outdoor graphics.

I don't do full wraps and really only buy wrap bundles for partial wraps and supplying good quality vehicle decals. The option when I purchase Avery now offers optically clear or standard laminate. I went with the optically clear so as to have it in stock if needed...but wonder if there is a reason I should not be using it, as in most cases it is not being used for the optically clear properties, but just as a premium laminate... Opinions?

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    That is done so you can stock one laminate for your car wraps and window perf jobs. I tell everyone to just keep the Optically clear and use it on all your applications like those. Most of the time it is a few bucks more, but I only have to stock one roll vs. 2. Unless you never do perf jobs, stay with the normal cast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    I keep Avery 1360z optically clear in stock. Easy to just have one cast lam. If you never use perf or never laminate perf, I'd probably keep the 1060z on hand instead. It's a little thicker and offers another year of warranty.

4. jman

jman Member

Mar 26, 2015
    North East
    Silly question but what if you use regular lam on perf? I didn't know you could use optically clear on vinyl other than perf lol

5. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You cannot see out of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    The optically clear was actually less!!!! Maybe it was on sale, but definately nearly $100 cheaper if memory serves.

7. Molenbeek

Molenbeek Member

May 1, 2007
    Nationwide
    Be aware of the two different kinds of optically clear laminate though. There is a polyester version and PVC. The polyester version is much cheaper but should only be used on a 100% flat surface or you will get delamination. For anything with a slight contour- such as the curvature of a car window, you need to use the PVC version.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I was only asked if i wanted optically clear or the standard gloss....It better not be the other one.....sheeesh

9. CSOCSO

CSOCSO I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.

Jul 18, 2012
    Florida
    i have used the 1360 on full wraps in south florida ZERO issues or delamination. it is thinner compared to the 1060z and won't last as long

Use 1060z for full wraps and use 1360z for window perf.
    btw there is not much difference in visibility between the two. In my opinion.

10. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The Avery optically clear laminate that is bundled with MPI1105 is vinyl. No fear of getting polyester. We use the optically clear DOL1360Z as our standard for the very reason stated above--we don't have to stock a different laminate for window wraps. It is thinner (1.3 mil) than their DOL1060Z (2.1 mil) and Avery states it has a 4 year durability vs. 5 years for the 2.1 mil. But if the choice in the bundle was with the DOL1460Z, then it's a moot point because that is also 1.3 mil.

11. AF

AF Active Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Ventura, CA
    I have found that optically clear laminate has less silvering on normal prints, which is a bonus for quick turnaround.

12. Hollywoodsigns

Hollywoodsigns Designer, printer

Jan 31, 2014
    Gresham Oregon
    the 1360 has 2 advantages along with being a little less expensive, so i guess 3 advantages. Yes it is optic Clear, The other is that it is a thinner laminate this means it is more conformable and stretches a little more. As for durability and UV protection the difference is very minimal. But with that , It is much harder to work with outdoors. I have been doing a box truck and noticed a panel in the sun, just the weight of itself will make the panel grow about 1-1.5 inches that you now have to shrink up. This is why we use the old style 1080c on box trucks and trailers. I think it is better for large flat surfaces.

13. Jb1983

Jb1983 Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Vancouver island
    I have seen some suppliers listing the Dol 1060z as an option for perforated window graphics. It also states "excellent transparency" in the TDS. Has anyone tired the 1060z for perforated?