• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Options you'd like to see in VersaWorks?

sheitmar

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned so far.

However - am I the only one who has a hell of a time getting CutContour lines to work straight out of CorelDraw? I used to have no problem out of X3 but with X6 - anything with a raster image in an eps or pdf I've had to launder through Illustrator and flatten for Versaworks to pick up the lines.

A "hot folder" option would be nice - I use it a lot with SoftRip - where it will pre-rip files you put in the folder, based on the default settings.

The ability to add a certain spacing between the prints every X feet would be nice. We do this manually every 15-20 feet of printing (large run stuff) for the guys who run the laminators, just in case we run into problems and we have to slice the job. Not sure how you would implement this, though.

Option to auto-save jobs after they've been ripped? So many times I'll manually nest a job I printed but haven't cut yet, only to find some knucklehead decided to clean out the queue list before I had a chance to cut it.

An estimated "time left" option for a job that's currently printing would be VERY helpful! Currently I can only see how long a job will take to print by going to the Print Quality Settings, but you can't get into that when a file is printing.

+1 to 2B's suggestion to pick multiple files. I know I can drag and drop, but it's annoying you can't just ctrl+click multiple files from within Versaworks.

I'd like to also chime in with Splizaat's comment about borders (and selection of color) - I would LOVE to have this. I often create files where I need to nest them together - but if I'm printing four 12" tall files to go on to a sheet of dibond where I have no wiggle room that I will shear after the fact, adding the trim lines that Versaworks has creates too big of a space for this to be possible. A hairline that gets printed to the inset edge of the graphic would be a time saver.

Nate really makes me want to try Caldera...hmmmmm.

WI

You can do this no problem....just select files (from the explorer type window, not from "add to queue a/b) then drag and drop.

Didn't know this, so I'll likely start doing it immediately, but why can't we add multiple files from within the application itself? At this point it's a nitpick but why can't I just manage the one window on my RIP station instead of having to juggle two?

Mike F

Since we're bringing this topic back, got a few more things I've thought of. A way to add grommet marks to banners would be great, and a way to add bleed for hemming as well. I know you can set the margin marks to 1" to give you a hem area, but it'd be nice to be able to bleed the edges into the margin. Better handling of transparencies would be awesome. Blah, had another one and now I can't think of it.

SolitaryT

I can agree with most of the above comments. I've used mostly Wasatch, and a little Onyx, and then VersaWorks. I liked Wasatch the best. 12 18"x30" yard signs to print? Add the file and change your repeats. In VersaWorks? Nah, you have to upload the file twice and rearrange them manually to maximize efficiency. Not a super huge deal, but a pain in the *** when you're trying to cut things out and keep them together. My biggest complaint with VersaWorks so far was one day, I got the prompt for updating the software. I did it, and it crashed the system, I had to reinstall the base version I have, and when I called Roland, they told me to just not download any updates because they all could be bad for my software. Blew my mind. "Here, we're making the software better, but don't use it, or it could render it inoperable." Didn't make a damn bit of sense to me. I've been trying to push the owner here to switch to Wasatch, but it's not the priority right no, so I'm rolling with it. Just frustrating.

Mike F

How about......better nesting features!! (can't remember if this was in my older post/rant)

As we speak I'm fighting with a nest job w/ 14 files. 14 simple colored boxes, different sizes. Try to flip one of them so I can nest a bit better and save material....and it screws up the whole package as soon as I flip it.

Every time I run nest jobs I end up just saying "screw it" and wasting materials since I know I'll have to fight VW the whole time.

REALLY pisses me off.

<end rant>

+1 on this one, I hate that when you flip one it automatically flips all the other copies of that file.