Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oracal 3165RA on Cars? Temporary Application

Discussion in 'Materials' started by MrSalumi, Jun 11, 2013.

1. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    Hello. I usually use wrap cast on decals but used 3165RA to create some decals for a road trip this week. Think police type shield on the drivers and passengers door of a new dodge pickup. I was reading the material spec sheet from Oracal and it said that the adhesive is permanent grey solvent adhesive. Do you think I am in danger of harming the paint for a week long application in sun?

Tags:
  2. JBusch260

JBusch260 Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    I don't think it would ruin it for only a week's time. If you are worried, any thoughts into using 3621? It's removable up to a year.

3. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    +1 for 3621. It's cheap, prints nice and I've used it for lots of short term promo stuff including several half wraps(flat surfaces) that lasted over 6 months with no issues. I don't think the 3165RA will hurt for just a week. John

4. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    I hadn't thought about using 3621.

The decals are already made and if I reprint I'll do it on wrap material. The only reason I didn't use it from the beginning is that I didn't have any laminate in stock.

That brings me to my second question.. You think I can laminate 3MIJ180 (cast) with Oracal 210M (calendared) for a week?

Nothing like half assing it right? Good thing he's my buddy and I'm not charging him...

5. JBusch260

JBusch260 Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    If it's only going to be on for a week, I don't think I'd even bother laminating it. Of course, it might make it easier to apply if you're going over any curves or bevels. 210 would be fine, but 200 is cheaper. Really, for a week's time, if you need to laminate it, I think about anything would do.

6. strypguy

strypguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Carroll, Iowa
    For just a week I think you could get away with just about any vinyl lam combo. John

7. MrSalumi

MrSalumi Member

Oct 27, 2012
    earth
    Yeah I think you are right. I guess I'll reprint it on 3M wrap cast and forget laminating it. I could just see it pulling the paint and having to repaint a door.. Might as well be safe, eh?

8. JBusch260

JBusch260 Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    As always, better safe than sorry... but always best to try and make it as easy as you can for yourself in the process. Good luck!