• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 5600 and 210 Lam

dasnootz

Has anyone used 210 lam with 5600 reflective?... and if so was it successful. I'm looking to make reflective real estate panels (24x18).

Oracal recommends 290 lam, but the cost is more than double.

(Is there a way to search multiple keywords with the search on this site... or search for exact phrasing?) I've tried searching with little success unless I have only one word.

FatCat

I've honestly never laminated any reflective. But IMHO 210 is an above average intermediate laminate, especialy good for flat surfaces. I've got some printed 4x8 real estate billboards out there 3+ years old and still look like new. It's a good material for the right purposes, but if your customer expects any more than 3 years I'd opt for a cast laminate like the 290.

dasnootz

3 Years would be more than adeaquate... Winters here are harsh on real estate signs (Snowplows, snow and ice).

My only reason for laminating would be decrease the brittleness of the reflective in cold temperatures (below freezing much of the time from November to March)

FatCat

Yeah, we don't have quite as hard of winters as you but we still deal with snow and snowplows. I would think it would be fine from what you are wanting to do. Best bet would be to make a sample first and make sure the laminate doesn't interfere with the reflective properties or make things look strange.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Personally I'd say don't do it. You are putting a calendered lam on a material that shrinks very little. It is going to start peeling at the edges pretty quick if you do this. There have even been recent threads on this exact combination where someone else is replacing a lot of police car graphics for this exact reason. Calendered ONLY on top of regular calendered vinyl, never on top of cast or reflective. It will fail.

dasnootz

Thanks guys... I'm trying to upsell the idea of aluminum blanks instead of coro too. Perhaps not putting the laminate on will lower the cost enough for them to justify paying $4 more per sign for 0.04 aluminum rater than 4 mil coro.

MikePro

this was discussed in another thread, where the OP wondered why his 5600+210 FAILED.

imho, laminating cast materials with calendared is a sure fail.
its like building a house, but saving a few bucks on using a tarp instead of building a proper roof.