• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 Discoloration?

IconSigns

A few months ago we put some Oracal 651 on the back window of one of our customer's cars. Yesterday he brought it back in because it's starting to discolor?

It's on a dark back window that's angled up so it's facing the sun, so I'm wondering if this is some sort of burn that's happening? We tried cleaning it with water and alcohol, but both did nothing. It's seems to be the material itself.

On the same window we had a piece that was printed and laminated (Oracal 3651 with 210 laminate) which doesn't have any discoloration at all.

Is the heat just too much for the 651? Should we re-do the whole window printed and laminated?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-09-29 08.54.11.jpg
    2015-09-29 08.54.11.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 2015-09-29 08.54.15.jpg
    2015-09-29 08.54.15.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 161

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could we possibly see a photo with both print and die-cut in the same picture ??

TXFB.INS

we have used 651 on slanted / tinted glass here in TX and have not seen that issue before, especially in the time-frame you are listing.

I'm an curious how old the 651 roll is, I'd also ask how the vehicle was cleaned after vinyl install, or where it was parked, looking at the glass there appears to be debris, is that tree sap / pollen? which I have seen do funky things to vinyl

reQ

Another thing to consider - maybe car was parked under trees and it got tree sap etched right in the vinyl? I know that would need a lot of tree sap but you never know. See it a lot on car's clear coat when we are doing PPF

Gino

Premium Subscriber
These are all good suggestions, but he said there was another printed graphic on the same window, in which no harm came to it. That's why I'd like to see both types on the same photo.

IconSigns

Could we possibly see a photo with both print and die-cut in the same picture ??

I don't have a pic with he discoloration all in one picture, but here is after we installed it at first.

attachment.php

we have used 651 on slanted / tinted glass here in TX and have not seen that issue before, especially in the time-frame you are listing.

I'm an curious how old the 651 roll is, I'd also ask how the vehicle was cleaned after vinyl install, or where it was parked, looking at the glass there appears to be debris, is that tree sap / pollen? which I have seen do funky things to vinyl

I'm pretty sure the white vinyl was ordered in the past year at the latest. The other colors (red, blue, green, and yellow) maybe be older, but they're all showing the same problem (though it's more obvious on the white)

The customer says that it was parked in the sun, and not under any tree or anything. I didn't ask about how he's been cleaning it. There's dirt/dust in the first pictures I posted, but after I took those pictures, he went and got the car cleaned and came back. The discoloration didn't change at all.

Attachments

• DSC01295.jpg
    DSC01295.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 151
Looks like oak tree pollen to me. Stuff gets stuck over our cars like crazy when we go up to the lake. Gives a yellow/brownish look. Won't come off to save your life. Hours of claybar.

synergy_jim

we use 615 extensively. I have never seen this before. I'm 99% sure this is an external stain of some sort. Be it sap, pollen, road grime, etc.....

Kottwitz-Graphics

Look at the glass. There is just as much garbage on it as the letters. He parked under some type of tree that is causing the staining. Not your fault.

Mainframe

Put some rapid remover on a paper towel and try wiping off the stain in a small area, if that doesn't work, try some printer cleaning solvent on a q tip, another thing i always try is soft scrub with bleach, if you show the customer it is a stain, (and it most assuredly is a stain) then it would prove it has nothing to do with the lettering job, I wonder if it is the soap that rains down on the car from the car wash. Or most likely something from a tree. I recently had a pipe drip something on my car from a parking garage while visiting a Pgh hospital, whatever it was got on my paint and windshield, I used everything I could think of to get it off, and turned out Murphy's oil soap took it right off. Good luck

heyskull

I have had a look at the pictures and have used 651 for a number of years without issue.
But maybe the issue isn't tree sap or heat issues, it is maybe the chemicals that they are using in his line of work.
Just look at what he advertises he does!!!!

I would take a close look at the paintwork of the vehicle. I would bet their is something similar happening on it.

SC