• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal 651 on flat paint failing - ideas and tips for re-install

S'N'S

I have never used this but it says, Viponds Self Adhesive Prep Coat is the answer to the now common problem of the use of acrylic wall paints and
the lost of adhesion after a few days or even hours. Viponds Self Adhesive Prep Coat has been specially developed
to increase the adhesion of self-adhesive vinyl and digital print on both interior and exterior painted surfaces.
Viponds Self Adhesive Prep Coat is a water-based primer and topcoat paint with quick dry technology and minimal
odour

VIPONDS SELF ADHESIVE PREP COAT - Viponds - Paint - Accessories - Conect Enterprises

Msrae

Rae
I have never used this but it says, Viponds Self Adhesive Prep Coat is the answer to the now common problem of the use of acrylic wall paints and
the lost of adhesion after a few days or even hours. Viponds Self Adhesive Prep Coat has been specially developed
to increase the adhesion of self-adhesive vinyl and digital print on both interior and exterior painted surfaces.
Viponds Self Adhesive Prep Coat is a water-based primer and topcoat paint with quick dry technology and minimal
odour

VIPONDS SELF ADHESIVE PREP COAT - Viponds - Paint - Accessories - Conect Enterprises

Thanks, this sounds interesting. Has anyone else tried this stuff? I assume it dries clear? It might be worth a shot, I only wish they sold it in smaller bottles so I could give it a try on a small area first and see what it is like.

I would honestly look in to making a wall test kit, I have a 3M one but that won't really help you with Oracal, 3M gives you everything you need in it though pre packed, but cut a few diff. vinyl series into about 1inch rolls and stick them on, also to increase your surfaces acceptance to adhesive wipe twice with rubbing alcohol (70%). If door gets repainted and you'd like it to last as long as possible, wait 30 days, thats the proper time for paint to cure from out gassing, specially for interior paints. The wall test kit is mainly for interior wall paints but I think it'd be good to exercise for any painted areas because of the inconsistency of VOC levels in paint. There's a formula for knowing if the material will last, you need to leave it on there for 15 minutes and then peel off with a spring scale, you obviously don't want it to remove too easily.

Shawna.Heritage

The best product that I have used for this issue is Mactac Streetwraps. I have a latex printer so I don't have to laminate the product for inside jobs. Adheres to the paint that has high VOC. I have had this happen twice to me while using 3m IJ180CV3, tried a more permanent adhesive with 3m IJ35c, and that didnt stay on longer then a week. Also tried to use some Avery Products such as MPI2903 air release and the MPI2902 permanent. So far I have had Streetwraps up in a gym with painted high VOC walls and haven't had any kind of lifting or bubbling. Didn't have to bake it into the wall ether.

Shawna.Heritage

Another way we have went around this is to make a paper stencil, put it on the wall, spray clear gloss or matte spray-paint over the visible areas of the wall. Peel off masked layer, wait for it to dry 24hrs , and then apply your product. Takes a bit of time with labor, but it works mainly with circle logos or any kinds of blocky text. I would never want to try to match up script text or anything really detailed. Trying to make sure you line it up to the clear you painted could be a pain...