• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal and Cutting the backing

webcashflow

Here is the setup, Gerber edge, gsx15 plus plotter and oracal 651 vinyl.
I have the signs printing up fine, and the cutting is fine but it isnt cutting through the backing.

I read on here that the backing is rough on the blades, but I have tried adjusting the blades length and the pressure. If I adjust the pressure it seems the plotter will cut on three sides fine, but when it gets to the last side the vinyl snags and crinkles up.

Is their a setting or something I could try to make this work? Or do I need to invest in a paper cutter? I have lowered the speed of the plotter to its slowest setting as well, but the same thing occurs everytime.

Cutting a 10 x 14 square. So nothing intricate.

Thanks in Advance, I have been browsing for a solution for hours.

iSign

99% of Edge owners never try this, never need this & never do this

if you "need' to do it, there are complicated instructions written by that 1%

..I am not in that 1%, but I have been using my edge 3 or 4 days a week for 10 years straight... so I don't remember the instructions from that 1% well enough to repeat them...

I just know if you just need to cut big rectangles.. 100% of edge owners would do that by hand

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A paper cutter such as THIS is what you need and to rethink what you want and need to deliver. Cut your decal repeats at normal scoring depth with about .25" to .5" gap between them; weed the excess off; apply transfer paper or leave naked; and finish with the paper cutter. That is the method used by 99.9% of the shops.

unnamed.jpg

These decals are printed with a bleed edge, plotter cut and then finished by trimming out between the gaps using a paper cutter. To insure we cut where we need to, we also use a thin line fluorescent light on the table top a few inches to the right of the blade. This provides a shadow for the blade edge through the liner.

P1010002.jpg

If you really feel you want to gear up for what is called slitting and semi-slitting, you would then want to be looking at a machine such as THIS. It will allow you to make through cut or partial slits of either the vinyl or the liner.

Semi_Slitter-1_864x649.jpg

we run our edge fx 5 days aweek and have done since 05, and have never done what you are asking. as above, we use a paper cutter or scissors to cut the backing paper.