• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal costing me money

eddesign

Been a long time user of Oracal products, but in the last year there products have cost me tons of money. Distinctive crease lines through whole roll of media, which shows in media when printed. Their release liner is tearing and coming apart in the laminator backing seems to be real thin now, and they no longer print the product I.D. number on the backs of 30" media. are shop keeps forgetting to mark the inside of the rolls so they know what media they are printing on. Just screwed up two 50"x12' prints because release liner coming apart.And sticking to lam just so mad right now are others having problems with oracal

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This is interesting.
I found an issue with their 290GF that I wanted to put up to the list here.
I'm checking my records to make sure it is the product that I used before I post.
Before this I have had nothing but good results with their cast lam and intermediate vinyl (not used together).

wayne k
guam usa

31legen

Oracal

I've used at least 15 rolls of the 30" 3751ra in the last 3 months without any issues at all. All of my 30" rolls are marked on the liner from oracal.

Desert_Signs

My most recent roll of 3165RA has a crease along one edge, but it's outside the printable area. Hopefully the next one isn't in the middle.

player

I have noticed the vinyl coming off the liner, and tunneling.

I just opened up a fresh roll of 290g lam, and one side of the roll had about 20 or 30 winds that were up to 3/4" too long, and not uniform.

All 54" rolls.

Flame

I still love their products, but I feel your pain. Their laminate likes to stick to the paper and once in a while...does ruin a print we're running through the laminator. I've given up on the 3751. I had such high hopes and instead it turned out to be garbage. My last roll I used up on some coro signs because I could never get the colors profiled correctly and had random blotches, and is actually just a bit thin for my taste. 3951 is still my go-to.

nsidler

I've been using Oracal products for 4 years - 631 for wall decals and 3640 for printed materials. We continue to use the 631, but have switched to Grimco's Briteline for prints. We had issues with 5 rolls of Orajet 3640 in the past year. A couple of the rolls were bad across about 5-7" of the width and the rest were totally useless. Our local supplier sent 4 of the rolls back to Oracal, who tested the rolls and said they were bad, so we got a refund.

-Nathaniel

decalit

I use pretty much oracal for everything... Love the stuff but have had issues with backing tearing on some 651

mnapuran

hrmm... can't say we've seen issues here either. Mostly use 3751RA and 3169RA, both in 54" rolls. Same with 290 laminate

SIGNTIME

We use mainly Oracal products 3751ra, 3551, 3651, 5600, 751, 210 and 290 and have had pretty good luck maybe 3-4 bad rolls in 5 years which we got refunds for after they confirmed they were bad rolls. Other than that just small stuff nothing that cause total loss of a roll

MagnificentBastid

We also experienced problems with their 210 matte and glossy laminates. Apparently they started manufacturing the backer here in the united states a while back, and that's when the problem started occurring for us.

I'm not sure if they're making it thinner or what, but supposedly they've addressed it. Maybe the rolls some of us are getting is just the distributors trying to use up the old stock.

BTW, one way to tell if you have a bad roll is to unroll about 8ft on to a table and let it sit for a bit. If you start seeing it curl in at the edges drastically and see it wave throughout, then you'll know.